Advice on my first batch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
    I am very confused now. I took a reading and my OG was on 1042. That was on Monday at 13:45 just before pitching yeast. On Wednesday afternoon all activity in the airlock stopped. On Friday morning I took a reading and it was on 1010. I, therefore, planned on bottling today. Today the reading is on 1030. Tastes and smells perfectly fine, no off-flavors or anything like that. The sample in the tube for the hydrometer is also carbonated it seems as small bubbles are there and even when tapping them off, they come back. Any ideas?
    As a side note, also fill up your hydrometer tube enough to ensure the hydrometer doesn't get stuck or floats higher due to anything in the bottom. After fermentation the tap usually contains some sediment, and if that ends up in the tube it definitely affects the reading.

Comment

All bottled and now just waiting for bottle conditioning to finish. One thing though. My brew came out a LOT darker than it shows on the tin. More like a very dark reddish color than the light gold on the can. Does this mean something went bonkers?
      There once was a man from Nantucket.
      Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
      He put the wort into there,
      to cut down on the air.
      Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

^ those tins usually comes out darker ... i think the picture is exactly that ... just a picture.
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Also, if you cooked the kit a bit, it will end up darker than expected as well. The only kit I ever made that came close to the colour on the tin was a stout.

Comment

Working...
          X