Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grolsch swing top bottles, where?

Hi all
    Starting to do some research online on the costs involved.

As mentioned in my intro post I'm practically blind, so I was thinking to bottle using Grolsch swing top bottles to make it easier for myself.

Any tips where I can look to start collecting swing top bottles or even buy it on the cheap? I found a site which seams to be selling new swing top bottles, but at the prices they charge I might as well buy Grolsch just to get some empties.
    If you see how I drink, you'll understand my username.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.

Those bottles are rare to find as they are usually bought with the intention of bottling in them. Buying Grolsch with beer in might be the best way to start - you get a nice bottle and free beer.
    Originally posted by Kgalagadi View Post
    Hi all
    Starting to do some research online on the costs involved.

As mentioned in my intro post I'm practically blind, so I was thinking to bottle using Grolsch swing top bottles to make it easier for myself.

Any tips where I can look to start collecting swing top bottles or even buy it on the cheap? I found a site which seams to be selling new swing top bottles, but at the prices they charge I might as well buy Grolsch just to get some empties.
    Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas; 21 May 2020, 17:05.
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Typically how many times would I be able to use a Grolsch bottle till it must be chucked away?
      I assume the swing top won't last and seal properly for ever?

Comment

Originally posted by Kgalagadi View Post
        Typically how many times would I be able to use a Grolsch bottle till it must be chucked away? I assume the swing top won't last and seal properly for ever?
        Just about forever ... you get replacement rubbers and on e-bay i've seen some places selling the swingtop also
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          Just about forever ... you get replacement rubbers and on e-bay i've seen some places selling the swingtop also

Ok cool and I assume on this scale I'll never be able to use up / wash up / weaken or whatever the actual glass, so they can also last very very long.

Comment

brewcraft have the replacement seals. R120 for a pack of 60. but their online shop is not available at the moment
            There once was a man from Nantucket.
            Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
            He put the wort into there,
            to cut down on the air.
            Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

Grolsch swingtops are thicker than regular glass, and you get replacement rubbers for cheap. The metal seems to be stainless steel so it's not rusting (not on my bottles, anyway). It literally is cheap to just buy the beer and drink it and then save the bottles. Ask your friends to do the same. I did just that, and then bought the bottles from friends for a bargain.

One thing to note - when you're sanitizing the bottles, let the caps soak a bit. If you can, brush just around the inside edge of the seal before every bottling, or even better, remove the seals and wash the cap. I found that if goggas grow, that's where they sit. Where the red seal ring meets the white cap on the inside of the ring. Once I figured that out though, no more issues.

I've been using my swingtops since my first brew. I don't remember how many times I've used them, even with the same rubbers. It must be on brew 20 or something by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                Grolsch swingtops are thicker than regular glass, and you get replacement rubbers for cheap. The metal seems to be stainless steel so it's not rusting (not on my bottles, anyway). It literally is cheap to just buy the beer and drink it and then save the bottles. Ask your friends to do the same. I did just that, and then bought the bottles from friends for a bargain.

One thing to note - when you're sanitizing the bottles, let the caps soak a bit. If you can, brush just around the inside edge of the seal before every bottling, or even better, remove the seals and wash the cap. I found that if goggas grow, that's where they sit. Where the red seal ring meets the white cap on the inside of the ring. Once I figured that out though, no more issues.

I've been using my swingtops since my first brew. I don't remember how many times I've used them, even with the same rubbers. It must be on brew 20 or something by now.

Thanks, sounds like a plan, will start collecting then.

Comment

I bought a six pack of Grolsch for one seal to put into my camlock. I was in a spot of hurry, beerlab sells the replacement seals for cheap. Damnedest thing, I remember from years ago Grolsch tasting better, took me quite a while to finish those 6 beers.

Comment

They do have a rather strange bitterness.
                    When I buy for the bottles I tend to invite friends for a beer and give them a Grolsh before they can object.
                    Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    I bought a six pack of Grolsch for one seal to put into my camlock. I was in a spot of hurry, beerlab sells the replacement seals for cheap. Damnedest thing, I remember from years ago Grolsch tasting better, took me quite a while to finish those 6 beers.
                    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Heh. I quite like Grolsch. But then again I like Castle Light as well, so eh.

Comment

Heh. I quite like Grolsch. But then again I like Castle Light as well, so eh.
                        2 completely on the opposite side of the scale beers. Grolsch is like sucking on a hop cone. It's a weird beer to convince people to drink!
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          2 completely on the opposite side of the scale beers. Grolsch is like sucking on a hop cone. It's a weird beer to convince people to drink!
                          Yep. What I'm trying to say is that I'm an easy drinker. I honestly enjoy Grolsch and Castle Lite. Hell on a hot day few things beat an ice cold Lion Lager for me. I have little "fiemies" with drinks. :P

Comment

Yep. What I'm trying to say is that I'm an easy drinker. I honestly enjoy Grolsch and Castle Lite. Hell on a hot day few things beat an ice cold Lion Lager for me. I have little "fiemies" with drinks. :P

Same this side, it has been said by a friend of mine that I'll drink anything thinner than yellow roof paint.

In all seriousness, when it comes to beer, it will take a lot for me to turn up my nose, I'm a very easy guy when it comes to beer.

Comment

Yeah I'm the type who'll taste everything at parties and when others go "eww" I'll go "I like it". There's one or two things I don't really drink, but I think it's a taste specific thing. For the most parts, I'm not a fan of sour things. To eat, to drink, etc. For that reason I'm not a big fan of your sour style beers.

Comment

Working...
                              X