Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter heating source

Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has already been answered somewhere else, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm also getting onto the brewing bandwagon but with winter basically here, I need to get a heating source for my fermenter (Just a bucket at this stage). I don't want to spend too much on belts and pads at this stage (which I probably should), but has anyone used foil reptile heating pads or reptile heating cables for their fermenters with a temp controller? Is it worth while and will it work with the plastic bucket? I just find that is a lot cheaper for starting out.

Thanks

I have and do use both types and they work well with plastic, stainless and glass fermenters. Hooked up to stc controllers to maintain the temperature I want to ferment at. Wrapping up the fermentation vessel with a blanket in addition to the heating pads belt helps keep the temperature constant.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Comment

Those reptile heating pads are perfect. I use an electric blanket, as what's what I had on hand.

Also, welcome!

Comment

I used to place my fermenter in a container filled with water with an aquarium heater in the container. It will not necessarily heat the water, however, it does an excellent job of keeping the waterbath at a constant temperature. This is by far the cheapest option to use in winter - by the way I only brewed in winter before I had the fridge with STC-1000 and heat pad.

Comment

Hi Guys.

Also a newby brewer here.

I just bottled 2 brews on Sunday and looking to start the third. I noticed that on the last 2-3 days my temp was down to 18 degrees even with the blankets. On the new brew I do not want the temp to drop too much. Can I put a warm water bottle against the plastic fermenter with the blanket between the bucket and warm water bottle?

Also, thanks a mill for the awesome forum! I have really learned a lot just by reading through the topics.

Edit: With the salary cuts currently I am not able to buy the heating pad or temp controller.
          JSparrow
          Last edited by JSparrow; 26 May 2020, 15:59.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for all the great feedback and tips. Reptile heating it is then . I'm considering building a basic wooden box as a fermentation chamber to assist with heat regulation and using dog blankets for insulation. If I decide to do it I will post some pics of the end result.

Comment

I am in the process of making a wooden cupboard for a fermenting box. Wide enough for 2 x bucket fermenters and high enough to cater for the airlock. Planning to insulate with styrofoam sheets since I have a few and it is apparently a good insulator. I also have some of that masonite type stuff that I will use for the interior lining. So wood exterior, masonite interior with a filling of foam on all sides and top/bottom. It should keep temps pretty constant so I can get it to temp and hopefully not interfere with it too much. The problem for me is cooling. Living in Durban, winter is quite mild. Summer is going to be a pain to try and brew in though unless I can sort out cooling. Looking at second-hand bar fridges for summer.
              There once was a man from Nantucket.
              Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
              He put the wort into there,
              to cut down on the air.
              Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

Also consider condensation. I've had BAD condensation in the cupboard I used to ferment in, causing the cupboard's chipboard to swell.

Comment

Guys,

Anyone that can confirm if I can use the hot water bottle with the fermentation bucket?

Looking to start another batch tonight.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JSparrow View Post
                    Guys,

Anyone that can confirm if I can use the hot water bottle with the fermentation bucket?

Looking to start another batch tonight.

Thanks.

Any heat source would work, so yes on a hot water bottle ... I would even stick it with the fermenter under the blanket to keep the heat in
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks a lot JIGSAW!

So it's fine if the warm bottle is right against the fermenter?

Guess I will be making another brew tonight.

Comment

That would be fine, yes. I used to use regular 2l Coke bottles filled with hot water placed with the fermenter in a cooler box and covered with a few towels to keep in the heat. Worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                          That would be fine, yes. I used to use regular 2l Coke bottles filled with hot water placed with the fermenter in a cooler box and covered with a few towels to keep in the heat. Worked just fine.
                          Howzit Toxxyc,

Seem to bump into you on a couple of forums.

Thanks!

Comment

https://www.banggood.com/100-400mm-4...r_warehouse=CN

I see a number of these and Reptile pads on Banggood that I assume will be okay?

Comment

Bought mine from perky pets in main rd, the fish area upstairs, R150 iirc

Comment

Working...
                              X