No announcement yet.

Slight carbonation issue - Maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess who will not be standing in line at the bottle store on Monday?
    20200529_203622.jpg
    20200529_205940.jpg

Sorry. I don't know why the photo comes out sideways.

Carbonation on the beer is there but it still needs to go. This is the one where I used the sugar mix

The Cider is still flat and I used the carbonation drops for this batch. I will leave it to mature further

20200529_214522.jpg

All in all: I am very happy. I could not stop grinning last night.

Thanks for all the input and advice.
    JSparrow
    Last edited by JSparrow; 30 May 2020, 08:51.

Comment

^ Great stuff JSparrow

Glad that you're happy with your first brew. I was not as impressed with my first kit&kilo back in the day, but luckily I kept at it and today absolutely LOVE what comes out on the other end of the tap

.... and yes i will also not be in the line on Monday

EDIT: Yes, the sideways loading of pictures is a bug with the software or something on this site ... drives me mad
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Current batch I used drops and whilst there is a nice head on the pour, it pulls a Nicholas Cage and is gone in 60 seconds. Beer is carbonated but I think I will rather go the dextrose route.
        There once was a man from Nantucket.
        Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
        He put the wort into there,
        to cut down on the air.
        Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
          Current batch I used drops and whilst there is a nice head on the pour, it pulls a Nicholas Cage and is gone in 60 seconds. Beer is carbonated but I think I will rather go the dextrose route.
          Wheat malt, Dextrin Malt(Carapils) and stuff like Maltodextrin will aid in head retention

https://beerandbrewing.com/ask-the-e...for-your-beer/

Comment

I always add some wheat, Carapils or flaked barley for head retension.
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

My Passionfruit and Peach Cider also carbonated nicely. I just need to learn to have some patience......

20200606_204017.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JSparrow View Post
                My Passionfruit and Peach Cider also carbonated nicely. I just need to learn to have some patience......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2407[/ATTACH]

Looks Yummy, but do note ... Bubbles sticking to the side of a glass is a sign of dirt

Comment

Not sure why as I have just washed and dried the glass before pouring

Comment

You can move to better quality glasses if you want. Since moving to crystal, my beers have been looking a lot better

PS: Crystal isn't as expensive anymore either. I paid less for my lead-free crystal glasses on Takealot than regular supermarket beer glasses go for.

Comment

Thanks. I will look into getting some other glasses

Comment

Originally posted by JSparrow View Post
                        Thanks. I will look into getting some other glasses
                        It's just a suggestion. No need to buy new stuff right now. I drank from Checkers Springbok glasses for a looooong time. Also, ciders are known to "bubble" in the inside like that, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I have some nice Spiegelau glasses, the carft pilsner one is top. I also had some other fancy ones I bought years back, can't even recall what. Hyperama sells a IPA glass for R30 or something, it's a 660ml monster and works well enough. No need to spend heaps of cash

Comment

Exactly. I paid something like R70 for my two ~700ml glasses on TAKEALOT. Crystal (from Bohemia), lead free and works well. I dunno what glasses they are, I just know they hold a lot of beer and they make a 5l mini keg go FAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                              It's just a suggestion. No need to buy new stuff right now. I drank from Checkers Springbok glasses for a looooong time. Also, ciders are known to "bubble" in the inside like that, so I wouldn't worry about it.

@JSparrow

+1 on that ... no need to rush out and buy stuff you don't need. I was just making an informative statement.

If the fat from last nights braai isn't visible on the glass, who cares about the bubbles .... i actually think it looks cool

Comment

Not planning on buying now. Only in the future...

Comment

Working...
                                X