No announcement yet.

Help with harvested yeast please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did a brew on sunday, first time pithcing harvested yeast(Saflager w34/70), i used craigtube method. didnt wash yeast that much and stored in fridge for about 1month.

Pitched only 1 of the two jars i harvested, sunday night no activity, monday afternoon 4pm nothing. so i figure i leave it another day. Monday night after 9 check again in my fridgementer and boom, airlock cannot contain the volcanic eruption so i switched to blow off tube, she's been bubbling steadily and the top of the fermenter bucket looks like an upside down bowl from all the pressure

I think the days of buying yeast with every brew is coming to an end

Comment

Originally posted by SamlL View Post

I think the days of buying yeast with every brew is coming to an end
      Indeed, a rare purchase for me now

Comment

the price of yeast these days amazes me...how did it get so expensive so fast?

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          the price of yeast these days amazes me...how did it get so expensive so fast?
          Lockdown. People bough up everything, and stores saw it. I'm just glad I've still got PLENTY of ale yeast. It's the lager yeasts that are going to kill me in the long run. Think I need to make more lagers. True lagers.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            Lockdown. People bough up everything, and stores saw it. I'm just glad I've still got PLENTY of ale yeast. It's the lager yeasts that are going to kill me in the long run. Think I need to make more lagers. True lagers.
            yeah, you're right the cost of many things have drastically increased. tick tock. i have, in the past top cropped a bottom fermenting yeast (w34/70) and propagated it to ferment another batch with great success

Comment

What I've learned by professor google is that the dead yeast cells drop first to the bottom along with small particles of grain that's in the wort. So, what you have at the end of fermentation is dead yeast along with grain particles at the very bottom. Towards the end of fermentation there is still active yeast suspended in the wort, that will settle at the very last, so the healthy yeast is sitting on top of the yeast cake. You might notice the healthy yeast is lighter in colour than the dead yeast porridge trub.

What I do after fermentation is to add some distilled (previously boiled water) to the fermentor, swirl it around and decant the trub in a sanitised 5 litre water bottle. I then put this in the fridge for a day and let the trub sepperate again. I then decant 80% of the clear liquid off .. but watch for suspended material that gets floaty very quickly - thats the healthy yeast. I then harvest a bit of clear liquid and as much from the top layer of the suspended cake into a 2litre coke bottle (sanitised). The bottom lot that contains mostly dead yeast cells and porridge I discard.

For storage I use 250ml consol jars that can handle boiling water - I boil the jars and lids for a couple of minutes and let them steam in the pot until it's all cool down, then I repeat the above procedure into as many storage jars I want to. I find that a long thin bottle is better in sepperating this than a wide bottle.

I have had no issues so far doing it this way. I my mind I filtered out most of the dead yeast cells, porridge and most of the previous beer. I don't like the idea of reintroducing dead yeast and spend grain into my new brew.

When pitching I take a jar out the fridge and let it warm up at room temp before pitching.

Comment

Too much effort for me I just swirl the cake left in the fermenter and decant into a sterilized tub and keep in the fridge until the next brew day.
                Dump an entire tub into the wort and for the past 4 brews I get airlock activity within 3 - 4 hours and have had delicious beer

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                  Too much effort for me I just swirl the cake left in the fermenter and decant into a sterilized tub and keep in the fridge until the next brew day.
                  Dump an entire tub into the wort and for the past 4 brews I get airlock activity within 3 - 4 hours and have had delicious beer
                  This is what I do. I was going to say that I use the same technique but then I realized that there is no technique involved. In fact what I normally do is just put my new wort on top of the yeast cake from the beer I have just kegged or bottled. On the odd occasion when I am not able to brew on the same day I keg or bottle, I keep it in the fridge in a sterilized bottle as per BOMB......

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                    What I've learned by professor google is that the dead yeast cells drop first to the bottom along with small particles of grain that's in the wort. So, what you have at the end of fermentation is dead yeast along with grain particles at the very bottom. Towards the end of fermentation there is still active yeast suspended in the wort, that will settle at the very last, so the healthy yeast is sitting on top of the yeast cake. You might notice the healthy yeast is lighter in colour than the dead yeast porridge trub.

<CUT>
                    That's basically yeast washing and the thing that most of us have learnt is that that is just a waste of time.
                    Aint Nobody.jpg

We just grab enough of the trub to get the next brew going, or do Beer-on-Beer like Simple said. .... the dead yeast is actually fine as it acts as a nutrient for the live ones once new wort(food) is added.

I personally feel that being anal about "grain particles" is overkill
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

^^ Everything HE said

Comment

In fact isn't it in the Mythbuster thread? If not it should be

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          That's basically yeast washing and the thing that most of us have learnt is that that is just a waste of time.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2669[/ATTACH]

We just grab enough of the trub to get the next brew going, or do Beer-on-Beer like Simple said. .... the dead yeast is actually fine as it acts as a nutrient for the live ones once new wort(food) is added.

I personally feel that being anal about "grain particles" is overkill
                          I read from the almighty Google that you should only reuse liquid yeast and not dry yeast.

Is that true?!

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBread View Post
                            I read from the almighty Google that you should only reuse liquid yeast and not dry yeast.

Is that true?!

100% False, I opened a nice IPA that I brewed some time back with a 3rd reuse of US-05. Delicious it was I tell you

That same yeast is busy on it's 4th ferment. Yeast are you buddies, look after them and feed them well

Comment

Is that true?!

No, they say that so that you buy more yeast.

Comment

Is that true?!

False ... I've only ever used dry yeast and i re-use many times over
                                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                                X