No announcement yet.

Help with harvested yeast please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive also had to dump 1 batch due to infection. Not something i would like to do again! T.b.h. with general beer brewing sanitation practices it is pretty difficult to get infected, except if you are an idiot like me and pitch an infected yeast sample from your own "washing". I smelled it before pitching and was not sure, decided to pitch anyway like a knob.

PS. Check out some wine making vids on YT. Those guys dont give a F about working sanitary

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want to see skanky , check out the distillers approach. Grim. Especially local, im sure those okes have stilled off botulism before.

I had a pre-infected batch that became worm food

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
        Yes. That will be fine, BUT. Next time. Just mix up that last bit of slurry and bottle it. Mark the caps, store in your fridge and gooi the whole thing into your next brew. It should be fine for long but the longest I've done is 6 months. There are MANY better and more scientific ways of doing it but this way is the simplest with the least chance of infection.

And now I went and elaborated. But anyway there is much more out there. GFGI if you want more info. Washing and glycol storage and such
        I bottled the slurry on 13 September and stored it in the fridge. Today is brew day and I’m on the boil. Took out a bottle and opened it after a few minutes to prevent it bombing and the result is pictured below in the first picture. Not much left in the bottle and I’m not going to bother pitching it. I took out a second bottle and opened it immediately. Same result but worse (see second picture). The bottles were sanitized and refrigerated so what could’ve caused this? I think I’ll go back to washing. Now do I use my Kveik today or pitch a fresh pack of Safale US-05?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Help with harvested yeast please

I opted for rehydrating Safale. Kveik sounds like a quick beer but I read that it drops out and might not leave enough yeast for carbonation. I bottle, so I can’t chance that. I’ve had a few busy weekends and was overdue for a brew so I can’t gamble. This brew has to work out or I’ll be thirsty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mouter View Post
            I opted for rehydrating Safale. Kveik sounds like a quick beer but I read that it drops out and might not leave enough yeast for carbonation. I bottle, so I can’t chance that. I’ve had a few busy weekends and was overdue for a brew so I can’t gamble. This brew has to work out or I’ll be thirsty soon.

I've never had any carbonation issues and have used LC Ragnarok and Mitdbust many times.

Trust in the Kveik

EDIT: In fact, i've enjoyed fully carbonated beers 24 hours after bottling... yes, I kept them directly on my heating mat of course.
            CaPunT
            Last edited by CaPunT; 1 November 2020, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post

Trust in the Kveik

EDIT: In fact, i've enjoyed fully carbonated beers 24 hours after bottling... yes, I kept them directly on my heating mat of course.
              I've heard this a number of times. Planning another Pale on Wednesday with Voss

Comment

Trust in the Kveik
                This is the way

Comment

I've never had any carbonation issues and have used LC Ragnarok and Mitdbust many times.

Trust in the Kveik

It definitely sounds like the way to go. Now I regret not using it on Saturday, but I never have before and didn’t want to screw up. I have a Ragnarok in the fridge. To what temperature should I set my fermentation chamber for it with a pale ale?

Comment

It definitely sounds like the way to go. Now I regret not using it on Saturday, but I never have before and didn’t want to screw up. I have a Ragnarok in the fridge. To what temperature should I set my fermentation chamber for it with a pale ale?

it's voss, so you can go up to 39c with ease, some people go 40c but that's a bit hot. i stick my voss on 30c

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      it's voss, so you can go up to 39c with ease, some people go 40c but that's a bit hot. i stick my voss on 30c
                      Thanks, 30° it is then

Comment

I'm using Kveik and never had a carbonation issue with it. I've reused it for 4 batches now. Ferm temp around 28-30 deg (Room temp). On my latest batch I though maybe I'd used it too many times as it had a strong yeasty taste which I didn't want. one week later and yeast taste is gone and lots of hoppy fruity notes in it's place.
                        To reuse I was swirling trub yeast, pouring the top 1/3 into a jar, store in the fridge, than just pour that into the wort. This time I poured into a sanitized coke botte to save some space. I also didn't notice that my last bottle from the fermenter is 50% trub (750ml bottle) so I might just be able to pour that into a batch of wort.
                        Loving Kviek! enables me to keep brewing in the heat without a ferm chamber.
                        hopingmadinZam
                        Last edited by hopingmadinZam; 2 November 2020, 11:51.

Comment

Brewed a SMaSH yesterday and used Kveik Ragnarok. It’s my first time using kveik. Took about 6 hours before the airlock started bubbling but then it went non-stop. I didn’t see much krausen so thought I’d wait till this morning to top-crop. Alas, when I opened the fermenter there was nothing. Only the ring around the sides which was visible from the outside. SG has dropped to 1,023 from OG of 1,045 and the airlock is still bubbling, but not as constantly as last night. I’ll have to try and wash the yeast since I missed the boat with top-cropping.

Comment

What's your fermentation temp? I regularly miss my window with Voss

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Brewed a SMaSH yesterday and used Kveik Ragnarok. It’s my first time using kveik. Took about 6 hours before the airlock started bubbling but then it went non-stop. I didn’t see much krausen so thought I’d wait till this morning to top-crop. Alas, when I opened the fermenter there was nothing. Only the ring around the sides which was visible from the outside. SG has dropped to 1,023 from OG of 1,045 and the airlock is still bubbling, but not as constantly as last night. I’ll have to try and wash the yeast since I missed the boat with top-cropping.

I found a calculator on the webs somewhere. Gives an indication of when you should top crop. Sadly I can't use my pc at the moment. May have been a link from Lars Garshol's site

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

No need to wash, but its up to you.

I just pour some of the leftovers into a jar, cover with clingwrap and store in fridge.
                                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                                X