No announcement yet.

Help with harvested yeast please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best strategy for reusing yeast?

Must I wash it first or straight up use the trube from my previous batch?

Does it matter how long I wait in between batches for yeast reuse?

Does it matter if I am using yeast from from a different beer type. For example if I brew Amber Ale can I reuse the yeast to brew a Weiss provided they require the same strain.

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBread View Post
      What's the best strategy for reusing yeast?

Must I wash it first or straight up use the trube from my previous batch?

Does it matter how long I wait in between batches for yeast reuse?

Does it matter if I am using yeast from from a different beer type. For example if I brew Amber Ale can I reuse the yeast to brew a Weiss provided they require the same strain.

I've mentioned before, I just swirl up the yeast cake in the fermenter and dump it into a sterile container and into the fridge. I've reused the same US-05 on 3 different styles of ale. My W34/70 was in the fridge for about three weeks in between brews, it got dumped into my Light Lager yesterday and was bubbling up a storm within 4 hours.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Or rather top harvest on the second or so day of fermentation.
          You will get a nice collection of healthy live yeast with almost nothing else (no trub or any other crap).

Since I started to do this I don't bother with the dregs after kegging anymore.

Plenty of videos inlined showing how to top harvest

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
            Or rather top harvest on the second or so day of fermentation.
            You will get a nice collection of healthy live yeast with almost nothing else (no trub or any other crap).

Since I started to do this I don't bother with the dregs after kegging anymore.

Plenty of videos inlined showing how to top harvest

Very interesting, saves me much time and learning this post.

Comment

Woot Woot Success on the quote. Respect
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

sure i dont have to say this, but when top cropping be extra careful with sanitation

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  sure i dont have to say this, but when top cropping be extra careful with sanitation
                  This is why I don't. It's much safer to open up near the end of fermentation when you dry hop for example than in the first few days

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                    This is why I don't. It's much safer to open up near the end of fermentation when you dry hop for example than in the first few days
                    Surly dry hopping when fermentation is more active would be better?
                    At that point its still producing a lot of CO2 and it should push any oxygen out of the airlock fairly quickly, anything that doesnt get pushed out should be consumed by the yeast.

That is the theory in my head at least, Im a noob who likes to think through various possibilities so I could be entirely wrong.

Comment

Dry hopping during active fermentation is shown to reduce the hop aromas in the final product.

Comment

We getting completely off track here ... keep it at Yeast harvesting please
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          We getting completely off track here ... keep it at Yeast harvesting please

yeast harvesting...gotcha

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                          Dry hopping during active fermentation is shown to reduce the hop aromas in the final product.

NEIPA demands it, but yeah a large amount of dh can stall/stop fermentation

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                          Surly dry hopping when fermentation is more active would be better?
                          At that point its still producing a lot of CO2 and it should push any oxygen out of the airlock fairly quickly, anything that doesnt get pushed out should be consumed by the yeast.

That is the theory in my head at least, Im a noob who likes to think through various possibilities so I could be entirely wrong.

did you mean top cropping or dh ?

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post

yes, but there wont be that large amount of active yeast to top crop from, using kveik as example - your window is small 24h might be too late. i tend to constantly miss my Voss top crop window, pitch in the am, top crop same day in the pm or fermentation is done by the next am.

Comment

yes, but there wont be that large amount of active yeast to top crop from, using kveik as example - your window is small 24h might be too late. i tend to constantly miss my Voss top crop window, pitch in the am, top crop same day in the pm or fermentation is done by the next am.
                            Indeed which is why I prefer my and the highly used method. Hasn't failed me yet

Comment

Yes but it's not that hard to lift the lid of the fermenter with one hand (don't put it down) and scoop some yeast out of the fermenter with a sanitised spoon with the other hand them close the lid.

I have never suffered an infection while brewing and honestly from hearing reports from the home brew club I belong too it sounds to me like infections are actually pretty rare.

In Bavaria they do completly open brews on a commercial level with little loss to infections.

I am starting to come to the realisation that those that do get infections are probably brewing in a particularly nasty way and one should probably not even consider drinking the milk at their house.

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
                                Yes but it's not that hard to lift the lid of the fermenter with one hand (don't put it down) and scoop some yeast out of the fermenter with a sanitised spoon with the other hand them close the lid.

I have never suffered an infection while brewing and honestly from hearing reports from the home brew club I belong too it sounds to me like infections are actually pretty rare.

In Bavaria they do completly open brews on a commercial level with little loss to infections.

I am starting to come to the realisation that those that do get infections are probably brewing in a particularly nasty way and one should probably not even consider drinking the milk at their house.

Not difficult at all, I topcrop often and never had an infection, my sanitation practices have yet to fail me. To date I have had one infection, but wasn't my brew, first beer I've ever dumped too

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X