Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Woot Woot Success on the quote. Respect
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

sure i dont have to say this, but when top cropping be extra careful with sanitation

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    sure i dont have to say this, but when top cropping be extra careful with sanitation
    This is why I don't. It's much safer to open up near the end of fermentation when you dry hop for example than in the first few days

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    This is why I don't. It's much safer to open up near the end of fermentation when you dry hop for example than in the first few days
    Surly dry hopping when fermentation is more active would be better?
    At that point its still producing a lot of CO2 and it should push any oxygen out of the airlock fairly quickly, anything that doesnt get pushed out should be consumed by the yeast.

That is the theory in my head at least, Im a noob who likes to think through various possibilities so I could be entirely wrong.

Dry hopping during active fermentation is shown to reduce the hop aromas in the final product.

We getting completely off track here ... keep it at Yeast harvesting please
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    We getting completely off track here ... keep it at Yeast harvesting please

yeast harvesting...gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Dry hopping during active fermentation is shown to reduce the hop aromas in the final product.

NEIPA demands it, but yeah a large amount of dh can stall/stop fermentation

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
    Surly dry hopping when fermentation is more active would be better?
    At that point its still producing a lot of CO2 and it should push any oxygen out of the airlock fairly quickly, anything that doesnt get pushed out should be consumed by the yeast.

That is the theory in my head at least, Im a noob who likes to think through various possibilities so I could be entirely wrong.

did you mean top cropping or dh ?

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post

yes, but there wont be that large amount of active yeast to top crop from, using kveik as example - your window is small 24h might be too late. i tend to constantly miss my Voss top crop window, pitch in the am, top crop same day in the pm or fermentation is done by the next am.

yes, but there wont be that large amount of active yeast to top crop from, using kveik as example - your window is small 24h might be too late. i tend to constantly miss my Voss top crop window, pitch in the am, top crop same day in the pm or fermentation is done by the next am.
    Indeed which is why I prefer my and the highly used method. Hasn't failed me yet

Yes but it's not that hard to lift the lid of the fermenter with one hand (don't put it down) and scoop some yeast out of the fermenter with a sanitised spoon with the other hand them close the lid.

I have never suffered an infection while brewing and honestly from hearing reports from the home brew club I belong too it sounds to me like infections are actually pretty rare.

In Bavaria they do completly open brews on a commercial level with little loss to infections.

I am starting to come to the realisation that those that do get infections are probably brewing in a particularly nasty way and one should probably not even consider drinking the milk at their house.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Yes but it's not that hard to lift the lid of the fermenter with one hand (don't put it down) and scoop some yeast out of the fermenter with a sanitised spoon with the other hand them close the lid.

I have never suffered an infection while brewing and honestly from hearing reports from the home brew club I belong too it sounds to me like infections are actually pretty rare.

In Bavaria they do completly open brews on a commercial level with little loss to infections.

I am starting to come to the realisation that those that do get infections are probably brewing in a particularly nasty way and one should probably not even consider drinking the milk at their house.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Not difficult at all, I topcrop often and never had an infection, my sanitation practices have yet to fail me. To date I have had one infection, but wasn't my brew, first beer I've ever dumped too

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk