No announcement yet.

Help with harvested yeast please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judging by the laid-back approach of senior members I watched too many YouTube videos on yeast washing and could’ve saved myself some work by just bottling it all. Using hop socks kept that out of the mix already. I just wanted to be sure I got viable yeast for the pale ale I’m brewing this coming Saturday, because I don’t have dry yeast to use for it. It’ll be my first time using harvested yeast from a previous batch.

Comment

I brewed a batch of pale ale this morning. Took the harvested yeast from my IPA I brewed three weeks ago out of the fridge during mash and just let it sit on the kitchen counter. Poured off the bit of clear liquid on top before adding it to the fermenter right after siphoning the cooled wort into it. Gave a gentle stir with a sterilized paddle and closed it up. 1,5 hours later the airlock started bubbling and my fears evaporated.

Comment

Cool ... Happy fermentation

cool3.jpg
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          Another reason I like kveik, you can use a teaspoon of slurry for your next batch and it will be actively fermenting in 3 hours
          I bought a vial of Ragnarok to try when it starts warming up here, because I don’t have a fermentation chamber yet. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that it only comes into its own at higher temperatures so I have three questions:
          Do I pitch the whole vial for a 25 l batch?
          Will it still make a good pale ale at below 30° or should I heat it up with my reptile heating pad?
          How do I harvest it for reuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mouter View Post
            Do I pitch the whole vial for a 25 l batch?
            I also was unsure, but the yeast from Liquidculture states the whole vial on 25L.

Comment

No - I have used a pipette and extracted like 5ml from the LC Jar and used that and it took off like a rocket. (i do add Fermaid-K though, amount depending depending on the batch size)
              Yes (but you can use it to speed it up if you want to reduce fermentation time - i use a 25W seedling mat)
              Top crop (open up and scoop from the top at around 30 hours into fermentation) OR just save some of the trub in a jar with some beer, and pitch some of that(a teaspoon or 2) in your next brew - I do this.
              CaPunT
              Last edited by CaPunT; 8 September 2020, 09:05. Reason: added more info

Comment

How do I harvest it for reuse?

Just dump the entire lot into a sterile container and plop into the fridge a-la CraigTube

Comment

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                  No - I have used a pipette and extracted like 5ml from the LC Jar and used that and it took off like a rocket. (i do add Fermaid-K though, amount depending depending on the batch size)

save some of the trub in a jar with some beer, and pitch some of that(a teaspoon or 2) in your next brew - I do this.
                  Thanks this also helps me! I did pitch the whole vial and harvested the trub so will try the tea spoon or so approach and see how it goes

Comment

I bought a vial of Ragnarok to try when it starts warming up here, because I don’t have a fermentation chamber yet. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that it only comes into its own at higher temperatures so I have three questions:
                    Do I pitch the whole vial for a 25 l batch? Yes ... It was designed for 1x 25L batch
                    Will it still make a good pale ale at below 30° Cant see why not or should I heat it up with my reptile heating pad? I would if I had the pad ... kveik likes it warmer
                    How do I harvest it for reuse? Just save the trub after fermentation like others have said (i also do it), otherwise do top-crop (See video below)
                    top-crop video

Comment

Thanks everyone. It’s encouraging that so many of you are using kveik. I think I might hold off hunting for a second hand fridge for a while since kveik doesn’t seem to be as temperature sensitive as other yeasts. If a decent fridge crosses my path I’ll probably get it for better temperature control on the long run

Comment

If harvested yeast experienced temperature fluctuations during its first fermentation; would it affect future fermentation/s?
                        The reason I’m asking, is that I have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber now, but didn’t before. The harvested ale yeasts I have in my fridge have experienced fluctuations between 18 and 24 degrees during previous fermentations. Will this affect the flavour during future fermentation? If so, I’d rather pitch a fresh packet of yeast the next round (which will be temperature controlled).

Comment

She'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                            She'll be fine.

I guess I should relax and have a homebrew...

Comment

Yeah might as well. Im sure the plane has passed over already. Look so the yeast was slightly stressed last time and while stressed they produce sotheoff flavors but that's done now, not like they have mutated into turtles in a half shell. "Turtle power"! You should se bubling very soon and be having your best beer in 2 weeks

Comment

==============
                                RDWHAHB.jpg
                                ==============

Comment

Working...
                                X