X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd call it done...

Comment

Bottle boettie, Bottle man raak dors
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Great!!! I figured if it has a tiny bit of ferm left it'll just give some extra bubbles, no biggy!
        Can finally close this thread! except I'll post a tasting review. Tasted pretty fantastic last night sans bubbles!

Comment

Well the brew is done and dusted now, thank you to all those who helped along the way. It was a long road and I learnt a lot. It turned out quite nice, after all the drama. I can’t detect any weird off flavours from the Weiss yeast.
          After one week in the bottle it was okay, two weeks much better now over a month it is really quite good. Had a friend visit who is a Kiwi and he said it was the best beer he has had in Africa and reminded him of beer back home. He then proceeded to destroy what left I had of the brew.
          I was a bit disappointed with the dry hop as there are barely noticeable citrus flavours but I think this was the hops fault. 2nd brew was a NEIPA with 150g of my mandarina at flame out. Smelt good in the fermenter but couldn’t taste much Mandarin at bottling (still conditioning). I also have an ale in the fermenter now with only 30g of Simcoe and the smells I’m getting out of the fermenter so much more citrusy then anything I got from the first brew. So I’m blaming the hops.
          Colour is way off what a ‘lager’ should be but it’s the best beer I’ve tasted in a long time so can’t complain too much. Cheers IMG_20200815_115049_9[1].jpg

Comment

sounds a bit like an oxidation issue, especially if you lose your dry hop flavor. the craft in nz is pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
              sounds a bit like an oxidation issue, especially if you lose your dry hop flavor. the craft in nz is pretty good
              I'm not sure it was even there to begin with. only time I open the fermenter was to dry hop and it was shut very quickly. for the NEIPA I didn't open it at all and not much hop flavour there either but plenty bitter. Has anyone else use Mandarina Bavaria and happy with the flavours?

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                I'm not sure it was even there to begin with. only time I open the fermenter was to dry hop and it was shut very quickly. for the NEIPA I didn't open it at all and not much hop flavour there either but plenty bitter. Has anyone else use Mandarina Bavaria and happy with the flavours?
                i made an ipa with it and it was a bit meh, probably used a little in a pils too and a bit in a porter or stout (cent recall) not a massive mandarin taste on it. throws a wonky flavor when you bitter with it, or so i thought

Comment

Sounds like you're doing good up there. Never tried mandarina before. A 150g dry hop should so something though. I'm having trouble sticking to my only on weekends rule with the Neipa on keg

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                    Sounds like you're doing good up there. Never tried mandarina before. A 150g dry hop should so something though. I'm having trouble sticking to my only on weekends rule with the Neipa on keg
                    Cheers Mate, the ale in the fermenter is my first brew with a different hop (simcoe) so it should give me a good idea if it is a hop issue or a brewer issue.
                    Really looking forward to my NEIPA, one week in the bottle tomorrow so will give it a first try. Need to get myself some kegs!

Comment

Working...
                    X