No announcement yet.

Munich Larger extract kit modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can only raise temp when I'm back home later tonight.
    I've got Kveik coming but is probably a week away, so not much help. Need to get this kit done to make room for my AG Weiss.
    Cheers Groen, appreciate the advice.

Comment

First check your calibration temp on the new hydrometer. Could be 18C and not 22. Push up the temp as suggested but short answer is to not use kit yeast if you have a choice.
      If you really want to. make a starter with half your Weis yeast and pitch that. Could just make a starter again for the next batch

Comment

Personally I have never made a starter with dry yeast, sprinkle it over the top of wort. Never had an issue in 80 brews.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
          Personally I have never made a starter with dry yeast, sprinkle it over the top of wort. Never had an issue in 80 brews.
          methinks in this case, it's to stretch the weiss yeast for multiple brews whilst rescuing a kit yeast ferment?

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post

Years ago i made starters (1 pack of dry yeast) for the simple reason of splitting the starter for 2-3 brews ...

these days Im happy to just save the trub.

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
            First check your calibration temp on the new hydrometer. Could be 18C and not 22. Push up the temp as suggested but short answer is to not use kit yeast if you have a choice.
            If you really want to. make a starter with half your Weis yeast and pitch that. Could just make a starter again for the next batch
            Or make a big started now with the whole pack and just save ½

PS: Isn't hydrometers only calibrated at 15º and 20ºC respectively ? First time I hear about 18 and 22 ??
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Could be that I'm just wrong. Cant confirm now since mine broke during lockdown and they are like hens teeth now. But i remember mine as 22.

Comment

I gave it a swirl last night and this morning 4 burps over 15 mins, so I think we are back in action....
                I'll do a starter if it falls back asleep, last thing I want on my first brew is bombs...
                4 day weekend coming up in Zambia so I'll be off camping so will check gravity again tonight an when I'm back so hopefully I can bottle and start my next brew.
                FYI for any newbies reading, 30g dry hop is not enough...

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                  I gave it a swirl last night and this morning 4 burps over 15 mins, so I think we are back in action....
                  I'll do a starter if it falls back asleep, last thing I want on my first brew is bombs...
                  4 day weekend coming up in Zambia so I'll be off camping so will check gravity again tonight an when I'm back so hopefully I can bottle and start my next brew.
                  FYI for any newbies reading, 30g dry hop is not enough...
                  that could just be CO² that came out of liquid with that swirl

Comment

1.021.... ..

Time to make a starter..

Comment

Okay so I don't have squat for a starter. So my plan is boil the shite out of some bread yeast and sugar then let it cool then pitch the wheat yeast.

Comment

Steal 250ml of that 1.021 beer/wort and add a little sugar

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          ^this, you could overbuild your next beer, shave 2l from it and boil it separately to have a bit of wort ready to make a starter.

Comment

Genius!! shame it was too late for me. My 'starter' seemed to work or it just hydrated my yeast very well
                            I was out of time so I just tossed it in with the other half a pack of dried yeast, came back 3 days later has been happily burping for 2 days straight so looks like it did the trick. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, don't want to mess with it. I'll check it when the burping stops. This brew could have some interesting flavours......

- - - Updated - - -

Genius!! shame it was too late for me. My 'starter' seemed to work or it just hydrated my yeast very well
                            I was out of time so I just tossed it in with the other half a pack of dried yeast, came back 3 days later has been happily burping for 2 days straight so looks like it did the trick. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, don't want to mess with it. I'll check it when the burping stops. This brew could have some interesting flavours......

Comment

Checked the SP last night down to 1.011 after a very long fermentation, (tomorrow it'll be two weeks since I added the extra yeast) I figured I was ready to bottle, however, I heard some more burbs from my fermenter this morning. Two in about 20 minutes. Can I bottle or should I keep waiting?

Comment

Check at again. If it's the same as yesterday yo can bottle. Its been fermenting since the previous ban on alc.

Comment

Working...
                                X