Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I got here?

Howdy All,

So, I came across an SAB CO2 tank and regulator at my old mans office that he has apparently had sitting around for the last 35 years. Apparently he scored it directly from a mate who worked for SAB at the time.

My question is: Is it possible to use what I have here for my own system (i'll obviously need a keg and beer and gas line) or is this outdated?

Thanks in advance.

SAB Keg.jpg

I'd just recommend a once-over by a firefighting place and a new regulator and it should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      I'd just recommend a once-over by a firefighting place and a new regulator and it should be good to go.
      I guess my question is more targeted at the regulator than the tank itself. I will certainly have the tank safety checked, but was wondering if I need to buy a new regulator or if this one would work.

Comment

have it checked. Might still work.
        Originally posted by BushWanderer View Post
        I guess my question is more targeted at the regulator than the tank itself. I will certainly have the tank safety checked, but was wondering if I need to buy a new regulator or if this one would work.
        Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
        Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

That red gauge still seems to register pressure, so it looks like it might still be working ... maybe just have it cleaned/serviced ?
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

From my old scuba diving days, I recall the numbers on the side of the tank said something about the life/longevity of the tank, but I don't remember the exact details. Chances are, the tank has outlived its lifespan and would be destroyed by a company that does tank safety checks.
            Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Tanks are not fresh produce, they don't expire.
              Take them to a place that tests cylinders and get a hydro test done and you are good to go. CO2 is relatively low pressure at 50bar so the cylinder should be good.

Likewise regulators don't expire either. Might just need a clean and if the gauges don't work just replace them they are not expensive

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank y'all.

I am itching to pull the trigger on a keg system. I looked at Keg Solutions and even though I already have a CO2 tank I'm still looking at about R3k to get set up.

I think for the time being I have to prioritise fermentation temp control (i.e. old fridge, STC-1000 and heat mat) then once cash frees up, try convince the wife to let me drill a hole in the counter for a tower. Maybe a keezer, but I like the idea of a tower and draught beer being a feature rather than hidden in my garage in a crappy old second hand fridge.

Those of you who have keg systems set up, I would love to see some pictures for inspiration.
                BushWanderer
                Last edited by BushWanderer; 19 June 2020, 07:58. Reason: I suck at proof reading before posting

Comment

I was going that route too, my wife stood firm and didn't want her granite tops cut. End of story. I also didn't want to serve every visitor. I have a brew room now, everything lives there. Anyway, that regulator could still be alright, it's just a diaphragm with a few exits. I dont see the overpressure blow off/safety valve. Have the cylinder presssure tested, you may be in luck there.

Comment

I also wouldn't cut the countertops for a tap. I'd much rather have an old fridge or even better, a keezer, as the serving chamber somewhere. That way you can add/remove taps on the cheap, and if you want to change the layout you just swap out the wood panel you mounted on on the cheap.

Comment

Thank y'all.

I am itching to pull the trigger on a keg system. I looked at Keg Solutions and even though I already have a CO2 tank I'm still looking at about R3k to get set up.

I think for the time being I have to prioritise fermentation temp control (i.e. old fridge, STC-1000 and heat mat) then once cash frees up, try convince the wife to let me drill a hole in the counter for a tower. Maybe a keezer, but I like the idea of a tower and draught beer being a feature rather than hidden in my garage in a crappy old second hand fridge.

Those of you who have keg systems set up, I would love to see some pictures for inspiration.
                      My keezer that I built

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
                        My keezer that I built

Thats Pretty... Would you mind sending a pic of the fridge itself? - Looks like a festive bar area!

Comment

Love the setup. Much nicer than mine.

Comment

Thats Pretty... Would you mind sending a pic of the fridge itself? - Looks like a festive bar area!
                            Here you go. The 4 taps coming out the top are connected to 4x19l kegs for beer. The one in the front is connected to a 9l keg serving soda water.

Comment

I'm drooling over here! Nice setup man

Comment

Working...
                              X