Off topic: Home automation / IoT stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off topic: Home automation / IoT stuff

Not quite beer related, perhaps mused over a beer or two.

Who here has dabbled in home automation / smart switches / IoT? I have a bug up my ass to get some smart switches on all my lights, install some smart motorized blind rollers, smart garage door openers, cctv and security etc. Looking at Sonoff right now for the switches and plates, but open to suggestions or ideas.

Sonoff is the way to go, you can even link it to our Google account, ie. "Hey Google", "Open Garage Door".

Went through the same exercise a while ago and could not justify why I would want to automate things around the house. Day/Night switches take care of outside lights. Olarm (app and installed box) takes care of all my alarm requirements (can monitor my alarm from my phone), timer on pool pump etc.

So to cut a long story short, I opted against home automation of my current 70 year old 'farm house'.

However, if I was building a new house, I would use home automation.

Buy Sonoff here: https://sonoff.aliexpress.com/store/3063001
    Dewald Posthumus
    Last edited by Dewald Posthumus; 22 June 2020, 11:52.

Comment

I like the sunset/sunrise automation idea, I have day/night switches, but the cool factor of flicking switches remotely is a thing. I also don't like the rocker switches in my house and might as well go with the touch panels and automate it all. I can easily extend my wifi into the garage using powerline adaptors or get someone to run a network cable. I'm nearly off grid so not too worried about power cuts.

Comment

True, the cool factor was one of the reasons I wanted to move over to automation, however, the practical factor overrode the cool factor..

I replaced all my switches in the house with newer model switches - they have a tiny led in the switch, which also adds to the cool factor.

I must say, the best thing I did do was to install Olarm. I have the app on my phone, my wife's phone and the kids' have their own versions, I no longer have to leave the alarm remote with neighbours when I go camping, I can monitor everything from their app.

https://www.olarm.co/

Comment

That's cool, thank you for the link, I'll add the olarm to the list, can you integrate motion sensors / add logic ? Like auto arm alarm after 10pm and no internal motion is detected for 30 minutes?

I want to turn on and dim lights (dependent on time of day)
          Flick on/off the extractor fan on door open/close and movement is detected in the bathroom.
          Auto dim lights closer to bedtime.
          "Follow me" lights at night when going to the kitchen or bathrooms.
          Flash lights when windows/doors are left open after a certain time at night.

Comment

Check out the Android app "automation manage for IOT". You use cheap WEMOS devices to build your own.
            It also integrate with the app DSC server to use your existing home alarm system to trigger events. So I can use my already installed alarm sensors to as inputs to my home automation.

It works both ways too (control the alarm systemic from automation manager). For example when I am near to arriving home I trigger my google assistant and say "I am nearly home" at which point it disables the home alarm, opens the gate and the garage door so I can drive straight in.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

where do you find the wemo devices locally or abroad? the alarm inputs being the magnetic door/window switches. What switches did you add to your gate/garage door?

i'm still cloud weary so i like the tasmota hack to sonoff and other esp8266 devices on home assistant on rpi. funny how quick scope creep rears its head

Comment

https://www.smartkit.co.za/
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  where do you find the wemo devices locally or abroad? the alarm inputs being the magnetic door/window switches. What switches did you add to your gate/garage door?

i'm still cloud weary so i like the tasmota hack to sonoff and other esp8266 devices on home assistant on rpi. funny how quick scope creep rears its head
                  I buy them from ebay sellers in China but most hobby electronic stores should sell them. They are the esp8266 devices
                  The DSCserver software listens on your alarm systems bus so it can respond to any event on your alarm. Door and window switches, passive infra-reds, beams etc... It does need the Envisalink EVL-4 module to do this though.

The developers website explains it all
                  https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/wemomanager

Comment

I have a few Sonoff switches and love them. Had a few issues where I needed to add some automation and they work well. Way better that any timer I've had and also way cheaper than even the cheapest analogue timers available.

Also got a few ip cameras to play with, but there I screwed up because I didn't know better. They run only on their own simple app and it's not that great tbh. So there I would find something that is compatible with maybe Google Home or Amazon Alexa.

My little bit of advice I can give is to look into the different control systems like Google Home or Amazon Alexa (which apparently isn't supported here very well from what I've heard) and stick to one system. Then you know you can control everything from one place. It's a good option imo.

I do enjoy technology, so that was also part of the decision in me getting these switches.

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
                      I buy them from ebay sellers in China but most hobby electronic stores should sell them. They are the esp8266 devices
                      The DSCserver software listens on your alarm systems bus so it can respond to any event on your alarm. Door and window switches, passive infra-reds, beams etc... It does need the Envisalink EVL-4 module to do this though.

The developers website explains it all
                      https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/wemomanager

Awesome, thank you. I dont even know what alarm system I have, I've never really cared about it. Have you tried tasmota on those, it supports most esp8266 devices and some are generic rebrands anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                        I have a few Sonoff switches and love them. Had a few issues where I needed to add some automation and they work well. Way better that any timer I've had and also way cheaper than even the cheapest analogue timers available.

Also got a few ip cameras to play with, but there I screwed up because I didn't know better. They run only on their own simple app and it's not that great tbh. So there I would find something that is compatible with maybe Google Home or Amazon Alexa.

My little bit of advice I can give is to look into the different control systems like Google Home or Amazon Alexa (which apparently isn't supported here very well from what I've heard) and stick to one system. Then you know you can control everything from one place. It's a good option imo.

I do enjoy technology, so that was also part of the decision in me getting these switches.
                        Good advice, have you looked at the pi camera? its actually damn good at that price point. Home Assistant runs on pi and supports a wide range of protocols and voice systems including both alexa and google home. For RF devices you'd still need a bridge - I haven't dug deep enough to look for pi "hats" to support this

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        Thanks you ! Best pricing, all on back order :-( i'll drop them a mail to check on eta

Comment

Good advice, have you looked at the pi camera? its actually damn good at that price point. Home Assistant runs on pi and supports a wide range of protocols and voice systems including both alexa and google home. For RF devices you'd still need a bridge - I haven't dug deep enough to look for pi "hats" to support this

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks you ! Best pricing, all on back order :-( i'll drop them a mail to check on eta
                          I have two Pi's, 3b and Zero wh, but haven't checked the camera module yet, thanks.

I've only done real basic stuff with the Pi's, but know a few very clued up people who could help if needed.

Maybe it's time to continue where I left it last time. Just started with basics to make my life a little easier, maybe I will go further

Comment

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                            I have two Pi's, 3b and Zero wh, but haven't checked the camera module yet, thanks.

I've only done real basic stuff with the Pi's, but know a few very clued up people who could help if needed.

Maybe it's time to continue where I left it last time. Just started with basics to make my life a little easier, maybe I will go further
                            MotionEyeOS (or shinobi) on a pi zero w with a camera (noIR+ IR flood) and you have wireless CCTV with motion sensors. A few of these can then be grouped on pi3/4 for live view and recording to google drive or local ftp server. Neat. The noir camera washes out during daytime, it's cheap enough to get a few daylight camera versions. Of course triggers can be added to detected motion, haven't checked if you can apply logic to it and interface with home assistant, lets say if motion at 3am from front door then turn on internal lights and inch/strobe led floodlight for 60s or something similar. Facial recognition would be cool too
                            groenspookasem
                            Banned
                            Last edited by groenspookasem; 23 June 2020, 15:26.

Comment

MotionEyeOS (or shinobi) on a pi zero w with a camera (noIR+ IR flood) and you have wireless CCTV with motion sensors. A few of these can then be grouped on pi3/4 for live view and recording to google drive or local ftp server. Neat. The noir camera washes out during daytime, it's cheap enough to get a few daylight camera versions. Of course triggers can be added to detected motion, haven't checked if you can apply logic to it and interface with home assistant, lets say if motion at 3am from front door then turn on internal lights and inch/strobe led floodlight for 60s or something similar. Facial recognition would be cool too
                              I will have to check this out for sure, sounds like fun.

You should also check out IFTTT for creating strings of reactions. Stands for IF THIS THEN THAT or something like that, so basically If motion is detected, Then switch light or whatever. I have it on my android phone. You can download actions as well. Thing that I found cool, setting the whole thing up that if your location is X away from home it will arm the alarm system automatically.

Comment

Working...
                              X