No announcement yet.

Kegging basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so if I turn the picnic tap all the way open, it gushes out, no slow pour.

Where is the relieve valve? On the regulator, remember, I'm using SAB keg.

Comment

I found the issue.

The rubber gasket on top of the spear is leaking, so I had to decant into another keg (50 liter)

Comment

cool3.jpg

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
          What are the steps to filling a SAB keg?

1. Remove spear
          2. Siphon beer into keg
          3. Connect coupler
          4. Shut valve on beer out
          5. Carbonate?
          I am also thinking of going the G-Type route.. what does your setup consist of and especially what "tools" do you require for removing the spear and cleaning?

Is this for removing the spear : https://www.beerplus.co.za/product/h...anual/2907/234
          and I guess you need to have something like this for pressure relief https://www.beerplus.co.za/product/d...-type/1910/234

Comment

I've been thinking of getting two of the slim 20lt ones as well but from what I can tell they are a PITA compared to Corney's

Happy to be set straight though

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
              I've been thinking of getting two of the slim 20lt ones as well but from what I can tell they are a PITA compared to Corney's

Happy to be set straight though
              Yeah.. also wondering and same boat as you.

Comment

So far, I have used a 50 l keg, apart from my initial issues, it's been smooth sailing.

I bought an old SAB set from a local pawn shop many years ago, it consisted of a chill plate, regulator, g-type coupler and a tap.

There is a trick to opening the g-type coupler for the first time, thereafter you quite simply unscrew the spear.

My process for kegging:

1. Unscrew the spear and sanitise.
                2. Rack the beer directly from Fermenter - cold crashed beer at 1 degree Celcius
                3. Close the spear and connect coupler - turn up regulator PSI to 35
                4. Leave in Fermenter at 1 degree for 24 hours
                5. Disconnect coupler and unscrew spear to release pressure
                6. Close spear, connect coupler and set to 10 PSI.
                7. Give it another 2 days or so and connect it to my draught system.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                  So far, I have used a 50 l keg, apart from my initial issues, it's been smooth sailing.

I bought an old SAB set from a local pawn shop many years ago, it consisted of a chill plate, regulator, g-type coupler and a tap.

There is a trick to opening the g-type coupler for the first time, thereafter you quite simply unscrew the spear.

My process for kegging:

1. Unscrew the spear and sanitise.
                  2. Rack the beer directly from Fermenter - cold crashed beer at 1 degree Celcius
                  3. Close the spear and connect coupler - turn up regulator PSI to 35
                  4. Leave in Fermenter at 1 degree for 24 hours
                  5. Disconnect coupler and unscrew spear to release pressure
                  6. Close spear, connect coupler and set to 10 PSI.
                  7. Give it another 2 days or so and connect it to my draught system.
                  Sounds like a drag for a lazy old fool like me, Corney's seem the best way for me

Comment

50l keg is where I'm heading, specifically for my pilsners, I'll keep the corneys for apa, english ale and experimental brews.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm on the other fence. I find myself flipping between brews too often. Don't think I'll finish a 50l keg quick enough.

Comment

Don't forget, they do come in 30 litre kegs as well, and if you have a S-type coupler, you can use the Windhoek Draught 20 litre slimline kegs.

I do 50 litre batches, so between the 50 litre and 30 litre kegs, they are perfect for me. Kegging 30l of the APA in my fermenter this weekend and bottling the rest, thereafter I will make another Blonde Ale and keg the 50 litre.

I like having friends over on a Friday afternoon, you will be surprised that a 50 litre keg does not last long at all.

Comment

I'm kinda on the fence too but sliding down the bottling side. Having bottles is far too convenient and social and gifty compared to kegging. I will however probably 'overflow' to kegs when I am back to more regular brewing, probably around 2034 some time
                          Langchop
                          Last edited by Langchop; 20 January 2021, 11:53.
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                            I'm kinda one the fence too but sliding down the bottling side. Having bottles is far too convenient and social and gifty compared to kegging. I will however probably 'overflow' to kegs when I am back to more regular brewing, probably around 2034 some time
                            If you get a counter pressure bottle filler you can keg everything and then just fill some bottles from the keg when you need a few. Saves a lot of time and effort.

Comment

Ive bottled straight from the tap before, its a short term (heading to a brai)

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Counter pressure filling from the tap is an option too: https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2020/0...on-review.html

Comment

Working...
                                X