Kegging basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegging basics

I recently stepped up to a kegging system and I have a batch of Pilsner in the fermenter that will be kegged in a couple of weeks.

What are the steps to filling a SAB keg?

1. Remove spear
    2. Siphon beer into keg
    3. Connect coupler
    4. Shut valve on beer out
    5. Carbonate?

Is it as simple as that?

6. Enjoy beer straight off the tap
    7. Ensure your brew and fermentation coincides or precedes the empty keg
    8. Rinse and repeat, I deep clean my kegs and lines often

Comment

Between Point 4 and 5:

Force gas into keg through the the beer in line and open the gas in line for a short while. This forces CO2 in from the bottom and drives air out of the keg to be replaced by CO2

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
      atunguyd
      Last edited by atunguyd; 22 June 2020, 23:35.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, will have to get two kegs...

@atunguyd - that sounds like a good tip, thanks for that!

Comment

Hi guys,

Ok, so my Pilsner will be kegged on Thursday, however, I want to sample my brew on Friday afternoon, will this be enough time to carbonate?

The Pilsner is cold crashing at 1 degree C and I will keg at the same temperature. I can out the entire keg and gas bottle into the fridge at 1 degree C?

Comment

Yes, i usually start drinking my kegged beer after ±24Hrs.

I carb for 24hrs @ 30-35 PSI and its perfect for a few cold ones within that 24hrs

I have my kegs + CO² in the freezer (temp controlled @ 4ºC) after my kegging fridge packed up a few weeks ago ....
            still looking out for a replacement
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks Jigsaw,

Kegged yesterday and a sample this afternoon confirms what you said, it's almost carbed. Do I just keep the same pressure or dial it down after a few days?

Comment

Dial down to serving pressure, around 8 - 10 psi ?? depending on your carbonation preferences, else you will will over carbonate your beer.

Here's a reference

https://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table/

Comment

I dial it down after 24hrs ... sometimes to 20PSi for another ±12hrs ... and sometimes I go straight down to 10PSI for it settle over the next couple of days (while I consume about 2L per night )

Comment

Thanks again Jigsaw, dialed it down to 10 psi. Unfortunately I have a chill plate setup, so I will only start consuming on Friday. Took a sample this afternoon via the shut off valve and it seems to be carbonated. Still sitting in my Fermentation fridge at 1 degree Celcius, however I'm brewing a 50 liter Blonde Ale on Saturday, so it will have to move out the fridge soon.

Comment

Ok, so decided to connect a picnic tap to the G-type coupler and check carbonation.

The beer is about 50% carbonated, however, all I'm getting is foam coming out, rich velvety foam! What the hell?

Any ideas?

Comment

How long is your beer line? My guess is it's too short and unbalanced

Try this calculator

https://www.kegerators.com/beer-line-calculator/

Comment

I really like Larry's channel, a wealth of knowledge

https://youtu.be/w6whE1jrVQ4

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                            I really like Larry's channel, a wealth of knowledge

https://youtu.be/w6whE1jrVQ4
                            +1 ... his sometimes just a bit slow to get to the point

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                              Ok, so decided to connect a picnic tap to the G-type coupler and check carbonation.

The beer is about 50% carbonated, however, all I'm getting is foam coming out, rich velvety foam! What the hell?

Any ideas?

Once the foam turns to beer, it could come forth as being only 50% carbed cause foam turns into flat beer,
                              ....but pouring just foam could also mean its over-carbed.

With a picnic tap you have to press it ALL the way open and only close when glass is full ... you cant do ½-trigger pours with them cause you'll get foam.

At what pressure are you pouring? ... maybe drop it? Turn down the gas ... release all presure via relieve valve ... re-apply a little pressure (± 4PSI) and do a pour ... still foam? ... probably over-carbed

Do longer serving line ... nothing under 2M

Comment

Working...
                              X