No announcement yet.

Kegging basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have recently (and pretty successfully) bottled from the keg into the 2 liter wine bottles (taking beer to a braai) by using my bottling wand and connecting it directly to my tap. Believe it or not, but it actually works.

Comment

@McCoy

Welcome

I use this > https://www.brewcraft.co.za/mangrove...ap-401942.html
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        How do you purge the bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
          As per the video in that link,
          ... altho i don't really purge with COČ as i only fill a couple bottles just before taking them to a braai, so it's not like the ±30ml headspace is going to ruin my evenings drinking

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            As per the video in that link,
            ... altho i don't really purge with COČ as i only fill a couple bottles just before taking them to a braai, so it's not like the ±30ml headspace is going to ruin my evenings drinking
            Ah, force oxygenation of the beer. [emoji5]
            Probably not a problem for same day drinking though, possibly except for NEIPAs.

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
              Works the same as most counter pressure fillers. You first connect the bottle to the co2 then to the beer line then slowly let out the gas as its filling with beer pushing out most of the lighter gasses like o2 first.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachless View Post
                Works the same as most counter pressure fillers. You first connect the bottle to the co2 then to the beer line then slowly let out the gas as its filling with beer pushing out most of the lighter gasses like o2 first.
                With counter pressure fillers you purge the bottle from oxygen before filling the beer. The guy in the video just increased the pressure in the bottle before filling the beer, without letting out any oxygen. A high pressure burst like that creates a lot of turbulence, mixing the gases instantly. Oxygen dissolves faster in the beer with the higher pressure, so this is not a good procedure if you want to avoid oxidised beer. I guess multiple bursts followed by releasing the pressure could batch dillute the oxygen, giving similar results as a counter pressure filler. The slow low pressure purge some of the low oxygen enthusiast use with beer guns, would probably be dificult to achieve with this equipment.

Comment

^ Yes, he did it wrong in the video, but there are 100's of videos of this exact adapter on YouTube if you need a clear picture(video) of the operation of said ....

you can connect to COČ and slowly fill the WHOLE bottle if you like so that there's ZERO OČ in the bottle before adding the liquid

Comment

Working...
                  X