Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    Mashed in at 71C according to the STC1000

- - - Updated - - -

Sampled at 25 and corrected on the App
    With your setup I'd suggest the following.

1. Make sure your mashing at the right temperature, you say you mashed in at 71 degrees, but what was your mash temperature during the time your malt was steeping? 71 sounds a little low for your bucket set-up.

For comparison, my mash water is heated to 78.6, then pumped into my cooler, which drops the temp to about 73.7, then I mash in and my temp hits exactly 65.0

2. Get some iodine and do the white plate test, a drop of iodine in a small amount of wort will tell you if your mash is complete or if there's still starch to convert.

3. Don't recirculate for the first 30 minutes, give your mash a good stir at 15, and then switch on the pump at 30 minutes.

4. Batch sparge: drain your first running, put in your sparge water, forget the spoon and the carefull drizzling, give your malt a good proper stir after you've added your sparge water and then let it rest for at least 15 minutes, then recirculate for another 15-20 minutes before draining into your kettle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paul.stevens View Post
    With your setup I'd suggest the following.

3. Don't recirculate for the first 30 minutes, give your mash a good stir at 15, and then switch on the pump at 30 minutes.

4. Batch sparge: drain your first running, put in your sparge water, forget the spoon and the carefull drizzling, give your malt a good proper stir after you've added your sparge water and then let it rest for at least 15 minutes, then recirculate for another 15-20 minutes before draining into your kettle.

Much obliged,

Points 1 and 2 I'm sorted. The mash temp was ~68

Doing a sparge in today's brew and will report back

Quote Originally Posted by paul.stevens View Post
    Ok, so a bit of research shows that the element in the 50L Caterpride has built in overheat protection, so it doesn't need to be connected to the thermostat to switch off when it thinks it's overheating.

In the attached picture the brown wire is connected to the overheat protection circuit.

To bypass that I need to wire directly to the post on the right of the blue spade where the wire is currently soldered between the circuit and the element post.

Did you solder or set up a spade connector. I now have this issue after 15 brews

Initially I just used the existing spade connector, but that eventually loosened, so I soldered it, here are some pics of what it looks like now.

Awesome, thanks for this. Will be doing this later after the brew

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Let me know what your MASH efficiency is like compared to the recipe (If you have Avangarde listed in your recipe?) ....

I was down 3x in a row with Avangarde Pale.
    Just got Simpsons Pale and prefer to pay the extra R4 per KG to hit numbers
    Update time:

I adjusted my process a bit to see if I could get mash efficiency up.

I dropped my strike water by 5lt and kept 5lt on the stove to 80C
    Mashed in at 70C and started re-circulation straight away.
    Stirred the mash vigorously twice - 30 and 60 minutes.
    Mashed out to 75C for 10 minutes
    Sparged with 5lt at 80C
    Mash efficiency came in at 76.8% - Happiness

Next step is to get a bigger fermenter and do a 30lt batch

Update time:

Sparged with 5lt at 80C

Update time:

Sparged with 5lt at 80C

Nice

But was the efficiency above or below what the recipe said ? ... Thats what Im trying to figure out.

eg. on my side the recipe called for 1.048 (pre-boil)... I only got 1.044 (4 point down)
    the brew before that called for 1.044 (pre-boil)... I only got 1.039 (5 points down)

I usually hit my numbers, but with those 2 I used Avangarde Malt and im almost 100% sure it's the malt

Had the same crap with Walts malts back in the day ... As soon as I changed back to something like Simpsons malts, the problem was gone. So yea, I rthink these cheaper malts are cheaper for a (negative) reason

PS: Using good malt I usually get 82-86 % Mash Eff with BIAB
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Nice

But was the efficiency above or below what the recipe said ? ... Thats what Im trying to figure out.

eg. on my side the recipe called for 1.048 (pre-boil)... I only got 1.044 (4 point down)
    the brew before that called for 1.044 (pre-boil)... I only got 1.039 (5 points down)

I usually hit my numbers, but with those 2 I used Avangarde Malt and im almost 100% sure it's the malt

Had the same crap with Walts malts back in the day ... As soon as I changed back to something like Simpsons malts, the problem was gone. So yea, I rthink these cheaper malts are cheaper for a (negative) reason

PS: Using good malt I usually get 82-86 % Mash Eff with BIAB
    I was 0.5% down on recipe. It was Simpson's finest Lager malt - just checked my order again

Just finished a mash for another ale using Avantgarde Pale and went 1.9% over recipe and hit 80.7% mash efficiency.

The malt bucket is working a treat!!!

Well, Either the Avangarde stock i got was suspect, or the crush wasn't good .....

Just did the mash on my latest brew with Simpson's Pale ....

Recipe called for 1.053 .... I got 1.055 (2 points up) for a Mash Eff of 84.1% ... HAPPEEENESSS

I'll stick to Simpsons for the time being
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!