CaterPride 50lt Dema-Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Let me know what your MASH efficiency is like compared to the recipe (If you have Avangarde listed in your recipe?) ....

I was down 3x in a row with Avangarde Pale.
    Just got Simpsons Pale and prefer to pay the extra R4 per KG to hit numbers
    Update time:

I adjusted my process a bit to see if I could get mash efficiency up.

I dropped my strike water by 5lt and kept 5lt on the stove to 80C
    Mashed in at 70C and started re-circulation straight away.
    Stirred the mash vigorously twice - 30 and 60 minutes.
    Mashed out to 75C for 10 minutes
    Sparged with 5lt at 80C
    Mash efficiency came in at 76.8% - Happiness

Next step is to get a bigger fermenter and do a 30lt batch

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
      Update time:

Sparged with 5lt at 80C

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
        Update time:

Sparged with 5lt at 80C

Nice

But was the efficiency above or below what the recipe said ? ... Thats what Im trying to figure out.

eg. on my side the recipe called for 1.048 (pre-boil)... I only got 1.044 (4 point down)
        the brew before that called for 1.044 (pre-boil)... I only got 1.039 (5 points down)

I usually hit my numbers, but with those 2 I used Avangarde Malt and im almost 100% sure it's the malt

Had the same crap with Walts malts back in the day ... As soon as I changed back to something like Simpsons malts, the problem was gone. So yea, I rthink these cheaper malts are cheaper for a (negative) reason

PS: Using good malt I usually get 82-86 % Mash Eff with BIAB
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Nice

But was the efficiency above or below what the recipe said ? ... Thats what Im trying to figure out.

eg. on my side the recipe called for 1.048 (pre-boil)... I only got 1.044 (4 point down)
          the brew before that called for 1.044 (pre-boil)... I only got 1.039 (5 points down)

I usually hit my numbers, but with those 2 I used Avangarde Malt and im almost 100% sure it's the malt

Had the same crap with Walts malts back in the day ... As soon as I changed back to something like Simpsons malts, the problem was gone. So yea, I rthink these cheaper malts are cheaper for a (negative) reason

PS: Using good malt I usually get 82-86 % Mash Eff with BIAB
          I was 0.5% down on recipe. It was Simpson's finest Lager malt - just checked my order again

Just finished a mash for another ale using Avantgarde Pale and went 1.9% over recipe and hit 80.7% mash efficiency.

The malt bucket is working a treat!!!

Comment

• Well, Either the Avangarde stock i got was suspect, or the crush wasn't good .....

Just did the mash on my latest brew with Simpson's Pale ....

Recipe called for 1.053 .... I got 1.055 (2 points up) for a Mash Eff of 84.1% ... HAPPEEENESSS

I'll stick to Simpsons for the time being

Comment

I'll stick to Simpsons for the time being
              I'm going to get Simpsons exclusively next purchase

Comment

• After over 100 all grain brews I have never bothered to check mash efficiency and don't plan to start doing so.
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Weird .... its important to me tho ... I want to know when a malt/crush (or whatever effects the sugar extraction) is lower than what it should be

Comment

• I'm with Jig on this one. I'm working on getting my efficiency up and then stable for sure and make sure to measure pre and post boil gravities every time.

Comment

• Only check overall effenciency i.e. just before pitching yeast.
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                        Only check overall effenciency i.e. just before pitching yeast.
                        This. I only check my gravity from time to time. With the last 20 or so beers I made I've been spot on in the low 90's each time, so these days with beers I make just for me to enjoy at home I don't even check. It tastes good, so who cares?

Comment

• In my case it was important to check the effect of introducing a new mash process into my system ie the Bucket.

Now that I'm happy that it hasn't introduced any negative impact to my brew (it gave a positive boost to my efficiency) and I'm comfortable with the new process I'm back to brewing as usual.

Comment

• to be fair, if you know and trust your equipment and malt, then taking gravity readings can become boring in it's consistency. i stick with castle malting and am not overly concerned about efficiencies anymore (thanks btw to that tip to avoid avangarde)
                            i always sit on 80%, i hit my og and dont even bother with fg. i do check every time i crack a 25kg. i recently fiddled and have a slight drop due to milling, but i suspected that before the brew, the readings confirmed it and its now corrected.
                            i'll verify my fix on the next brew and carry on trusting my routines.

Comment

• Putting a drop of wort on a refractometer is the easiest thing in the whole brew process ....

i'll keep doing it thank you all

Comment

• Help if you have a refractometer... :P

Comment

Working...
                                X