Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post

I'll stick to Simpsons for the time being
    I'm going to get Simpsons exclusively next purchase

After over 100 all grain brews I have never bothered to check mash efficiency and don't plan to start doing so.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Weird .... its important to me tho ... I want to know when a malt/crush (or whatever effects the sugar extraction) is lower than what it should be
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I'm with Jig on this one. I'm working on getting my efficiency up and then stable for sure and make sure to measure pre and post boil gravities every time.

Only check overall effenciency i.e. just before pitching yeast.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Only check overall effenciency i.e. just before pitching yeast.
    This. I only check my gravity from time to time. With the last 20 or so beers I made I've been spot on in the low 90's each time, so these days with beers I make just for me to enjoy at home I don't even check. It tastes good, so who cares?

In my case it was important to check the effect of introducing a new mash process into my system ie the Bucket.

Now that I'm happy that it hasn't introduced any negative impact to my brew (it gave a positive boost to my efficiency) and I'm comfortable with the new process I'm back to brewing as usual.

to be fair, if you know and trust your equipment and malt, then taking gravity readings can become boring in it's consistency. i stick with castle malting and am not overly concerned about efficiencies anymore (thanks btw to that tip to avoid avangarde)
    i always sit on 80%, i hit my og and dont even bother with fg. i do check every time i crack a 25kg. i recently fiddled and have a slight drop due to milling, but i suspected that before the brew, the readings confirmed it and its now corrected.
    i'll verify my fix on the next brew and carry on trusting my routines.

Putting a drop of wort on a refractometer is the easiest thing in the whole brew process ....

i'll keep doing it thank you all
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Help if you have a refractometer... :P