No announcement yet.

CaterPride 50lt Dema-Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried a no chill in a standard plastic fv?
    I have one of these Mangrove Jacks ones and wonder if i make a stopper (for the bubbler hole) and swirl the red hot wort all over, if it will be okay?
    47823502_0_Img2.jpg

I was looking at buying the components for a rib-cage copper chiller today but cant find a bending spring... and I don't want to risk doing it without one.

I have done my last 3 brews by just dumping it(my fv) in a tote filled with water and LOTS of ice packs and bottles of frozen water. It takes about an hour to cool 18L down to 25deg and havent had any issues yet.

Reading your posts now had me thinking if the extra time and water is really needed, since I could just try and no chill it and pitch the next day.
    For that matter I can put it in my fermentation fridge with my STC set to pitching temp, or is this a bad idea?
    CaPunT
    Last edited by CaPunT; 16 September 2020, 18:52. Reason: typo's

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
      Has anyone tried a no chill in a standard plastic fv?
      I have one of these Mangrove Jacks ones and wonder if i make a stopper (for the bubbler hole) and swirl the red hot wort all over, if it will be okay?
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2655[/ATTACH]

I was looking at buying the components for a rib-cage copper chiller today but cant find a bending spring... and I don't want to risk doing it without one.

I have done my last 3 brews by just dumping it(my fv) in a tote filled with water and LOTS of ice packs and bottles of frozen water. It takes about an hour to cool 18L down to 25deg and havent had any issues yet.

Reading your posts now had me thinking if the extra time and water is really needed, since I could just try and no chill it and pitch the next day.
      For that matter I can put it in my fermentation fridge with my STC set to pitching temp, or is this a bad idea?
      It depends on what type of plastic it is. If its HDPE then it will be fine, PP doesnt handle heat as well.
      If it doesnt mention what it is made of there should be a triangle with a number in, if that number is 2 then its HDPE.

Just bear in mind it deforms pretty heavily under the heat so it might not look so great afterwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
        It depends on what type of plastic it is. If its HDPE then it will be fine, PP doesnt handle heat as well.
        If it doesnt mention what it is made of there should be a triangle with a number in, if that number is 2 then its HDPE.

Just bear in mind it deforms pretty heavily under the heat so it might not look so great afterwards.
        I've emptied post boil wort into it 3 times already(not to mention the numerous kits i did with boiling water straight from the kettle), no issues with deforming what so ever.
        It doesn't have a triangle to indicate its specification though

Comment

• Yeah what Rocket boy said. I have the same fermenter. I have done no chill in it. Didn't deform at all though. Maybe its thick enough. Maybe it was coz I didn't dare move it for fear that it will warp and the lid wont fit again. EVER. on putting it in the fermentation fridge. That's a HARD NO. All that happens is the whole insulated compartment reaches 60+ and stays there. The fridge has a thermal cutout that stops it. Could leave the door open but then what's the point of moving it there in the first place

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            No-Chill for life
            I'm so glad I discovered, or rather stumbled upon brewing in an Urn, BIAB and No Chill. Life is good! This must be the best beginner's setup.

Comment

• I've also done no-chill in my fermenter. Two reasons I won't do it again:

1. Headspace and sealing. It's difficult to get right of the headspace in the fermenter, because it's a big thing. Sealing it is also an issue, although I think it's less of a problem if it's just chilling overnight (I wouldn't worry about it).
              2. I like pouring the wort splashing into the fermenter the next day. I know about all the oxygen-not-needed discussions but I've seen more active and more "steady" fermentations in oxygenated wort, for the pure single reason that there is a larger colony working when you oxygenate (thanks to the aerobic and anaerobic yeast functions).

Comment

• Yeah the seal and potential suckbak of air once it cools down with the coppertun fv could be a problem (unlike in a jerry)

I think i'll just get a jerry from wespak and give the chiller a skip for now. Once cooled, I'll pour the wort into my fv for aeration and fermentation as ususal.

Thanks Guys

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                  It is, I'm not faffing with chillers and all that cr@p. I can wait a day to pitch yeast.
                  Do you pour boiling hot wort into a seperate 20l bottle and then let it sit and cool before pouring into a fermenter?

Do you pour the boiling wort into fermenter?

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by LiquidBread View Post
                    Do you pour boiling hot wort into a seperate 20l bottle and then let it sit and cool before pouring into a fermenter?

Do you pour the boiling wort into fermenter?

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
                    That's what most 'No-Chillers' do yes
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by LiquidBread View Post

Yip! Cools overnight and the next morning I pour half into the FV, dump in the yeast and pour in the rest to 23lt

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                        From the shape of that container I would say yes!
                        Its amazing how much of a beating they take from the heat, got to get it in position quickly because the handle gets really soft.
                        You really shouldn't be filling those with liquid exceeding 82°C, they're perfectly fine at 80° and below, but above 82° your causing a chemical reaction that softens and leeches chemicals out.

You'll still get the pasturisation effect at 80° and if sealed quickly the wort will last for a very long time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
                          You really shouldn't be filling those with liquid exceeding 82°C, they're perfectly fine at 80° and below, but above 82° your causing a chemical reaction that softens and leeches chemicals out.

You'll still get the pasturisation effect at 80° and if sealed quickly the wort will last for a very long time.

Thanks for this Paul. I'll make sure to wait for my wort to cool a bit before transferring in future.

Comment

Is this the first time you hear about No-chill and the fact that people use these containers for exactly that purpose ?

...and have been for years

HDPE or High Density Poly Ethelene plastic has an amazing temperature range, and is considered safe for short periods up to 248°F (120°C) or for long periods up to 230°F (110°C.) Since boiling water never gets above 100°C, this means that anything boiling and below is safe for a food grade bucket.

It’s important to make sure the bucket you are storing hot liquids in is HDPE
                            JIGSAW
                            Last edited by JIGSAW; 18 September 2020, 14:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Is this the first time you hear about No-chill and the fact that people use these containers for exactly that purpose ?

...and have been for years
                              Not at all, I've done many no chill brews myself, using the exact same containers, and I've packaged a lot of wort cubes during the lockdown alcohol ban.

But I've also done the research to make sure that I'm doing it correctly and safely.

There has been extensive research done in the topic of hot filling these containers including the impact of temperature on the material, content and seams.

There are detailed published research papers on the topic, hence my statement about the 82°C being a departure point from safe to potentially dangerous or at least risky situation, the material itself might be fine, but containers have seams that are a weak point, and chemical leaching at higher temperatures is a thing, even if the material itself is able to handle the temperature.

If you prefer filling them at or close to 100°C don't let me stop you, but 82°C is still no chill, if your doing a 15-20 minute whirlpool you're likely to be close to that temp anyway.

paul.stevens
                              Last edited by paul.stevens; 18 September 2020, 14:45.

Comment

Not at all, I've done many no chill brews myself, using the exact same containers, and I've packaged a lot of wort cubes during the lockdown alcohol ban.

But I've also done the research to make sure that I'm doing it correctly and safely.

There has been extensive research done in the topic of hot filling these containers including the impact of temperature on the material, content and seams.

There are detailed published research papers on the topic, hence my statement about the 82°C being a departure point from safe to potentially dangerous or at least risky situation, the material itself might be fine, but containers have seams that are a weak point, and chemical leaching at higher temperatures is a thing, even if the material itself is able to handle the temperature.

If you prefer filling them at or close to 100°C don't let me stop you, but 82°C is still no chill, if your doing a 15-20 minute whirlpool you're likely to be close to that temp anyway.

cool.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X