CaterPride 50lt Dema-Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaterPride 50lt Dema-Clone

Stating up the build thread for this little project.

First things first, I reckon PID is the way to go, the 50lt Caterpride has a 3KW element I believe (to be confirmed tomorrow) so it will overshoot the 10A rating for the relays in the STC1000.

Heading out to Makro tomorrow morning to pick up the Urn and thereafter I can inspect it up close and see what fittings I need to procure.

I'll pic and post as I go
    BackOffMyBrew
    Last edited by BackOffMyBrew; 26 June 2020, 11:35.

Looking forward to this thread, I'd be the guy to open the box and inspect the urn in store, looking for shoddy joints or "friday" builds.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      Looking forward to this thread, I'd be the guy to open the box and inspect the urn in store, looking for shoddy joints or "friday" builds.
      That's definitely me, store sales people hate me

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
        That's definitely me, store sales people hate me
        Well, if they want our money they'd hate us less. I vote with my wallet and will take my money elsewhere without a scene or a blow up and then avoid the store going forward.
        I care as much about "haters" as they care for me, so no loss really. I'd rather spend more somewhere else where my cash is wanted and if there's a monopoly on the product, I'll import it usually for less
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I think this is what I love most about homebrewing... The home builds... Look forward to this. I'm slowly adding bits and bobs to my Tupperware brewery in similar fashion.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I'm coincidentally doing something similar, got the urn from Makro a few days ago, and I've done a test brew using the urn as a boiler after replacing the tap with a proper lever ball tap.

The 3kw element worked well for a 20l batch, and the boil was nice and vigorous, the urn has no temperature sensor, so does not cut out when boiling.

I've ordered some REX-C100's with SSR's and Temperature probes from Banggood, which will probably take a month or so to arrive, once I have everything together I'm planning on putting together an eHerms type system, something based off The Electric Brewery but more portable since I don't have the space for a dedicated brew room.

Comment

Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
              I'm coincidentally doing something similar, got the urn from Makro a few days ago, and I've done a test brew using the urn as a boiler after replacing the tap with a proper lever ball tap.

The 3kw element worked well for a 20l batch, and the boil was nice and vigorous, the urn has no temperature sensor, so does not cut out when boiling.

I've ordered some REX-C100's with SSR's and Temperature probes from Banggood, which will probably take a month or so to arrive, once I have everything together I'm planning on putting together an eHerms type system, something based off The Electric Brewery but more portable since I don't have the space for a dedicated brew room.
              This is great to hear (the rolling boil), I'm picking mine up today, did not want to go out in the Cape Town's storm yesterday.

I too have the same PID on its way from Banggood, keen to see your progress as well - please post it here if you want

As a matter of interest, what was the boil-off rate, if you checked

Comment

The boil-off rate seems to be about 5l per hour, give or take. I'll post my progress here as well, no need to create yet another thread for the same thing.

BTW, I've had to go with using brass threaded nipples for adding the ball valve for now, I just couldn't find any stainless steel ones, if you happen to find stainless steel ones anywhere please let me know. I'm concerned about electrolytic corrosion.

Comment

BTW, I've had to go with using brass threaded nipples for adding the ball valve for now, I just couldn't find any stainless steel ones, if you happen to find stainless steel ones anywhere please let me know. I'm concerned about electrolytic corrosion.

Will do, I'm thinking of approaching NDE here in Killarney Gardens for some goodies, they have nice stainless steel tubing as well

http://www.nde.co.za/products/bsp-fittings

Comment

<>

Why not locally, unless BangGood is way cheaper?

> https://www.robotics.org.za/REX-C100-KIT
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Remember boil-off rate depends on your urn's size, the power you give to it, as well as the outside ambient temperature and humidity. My boil-off rate in winter is a lot higher than in summer, using the same equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

I paid half that at Banggood for the identical model

Comment

For Stainless steel try MultiMetal Traders in Cape Town, or if you are buying enough to cover shipping cost, order from www.harkus.co.za as their prices are excellent.

PS - You don't mention it in your original post, but make sure you have an SSR and heatsink hanging off the PID. You'll likely burn-out the PID with your urn's current draw.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

I paid about R300 per kit from Banggood including shipping, it's significantly cheaper, even if i still need to pay VAT and Duties. the only part that sucks is the shipping time.

Comment

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
                              For Stainless steel try MultiMetal Traders in Cape Town, or if you are buying enough to cover shipping cost, order from www.harkus.co.za as their prices are excellent.

PS - You don't mention it in your original post, but make sure you have an SSR and heatsink hanging off the PID. You'll likely burn-out the PID with your urn's current draw.
                              Thanks for the link and tip about the heatsink

Comment

Working...
                              X