CaterPride 50lt Dema-Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    But that doesn't tell you how good your new piece of equipment that was made specifically for the mash has improved your efficiency. You can take volume measurements and SG readings after the boil (into fermenter) and that reading could end up being better yes, but who says that isn't related to something other than the new mash bucket .... like a slower boil will give you more volume etc, etc.

You need the Mash Efficiency numbers after the mash to determine if you're now getting better or worst sugar extraction with this new bucket, because if the numbers are way lower, you're definitely NOT gonna keep on using it, even if its easier and faster
    The other part of taking readings in the mash is that you dont always need to go the full time, if you reach your efficiency then its on to boil at that point.
    Unless of course you want to try squeeze every bit of possible efficiency out of the system.

Comment

• So,

As it turns out the bucket isn't great at high efficiency. With a small re-circulation pump I got about 60% mash efficiency at best. Not sure if the grains compacted too much at the bottom or not I didn't have any overflow issues. I'm going to keep at it, I'm NOT going back a bag.

Any ideas?

Also, the Caterpride's thermostat decided to suddenly start working after about 4 months and approx 14 brews. Bypassed and sorted now.

Comment

• What about:
        Grain crush too coarse?
        Older grains?
        Correct grain bill(ie correct amount)?
        Mash PH?
        perhaps you accidentally added more water than you were supposed too?

I've not gotten less than 60% with my BIAB, so unless there was some mistake, I'm sure you should get more than 60% using a pump and "malt pipe".

Comment

• Same grain crush from same supplier.
          Grain bill was fairly standard
          I use the same amount of water each brew currently

Beginning to wonder if the hydrometer is poked maybe (unlikely)

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
            Same grain crush from same supplier.
            Grain bill was fairly standard
            I use the same amount of water each brew currently

Beginning to wonder if the hydrometer is poked maybe (unlikely)
            I may be captain obvious here, but did you temp correct when you measured? They're normally calibrated for 20° so if your sample's temp was a bit high, you'd get a lower SG measurement.

Comment

• Or maybe temp was off and you killed all the enzymes with a 75C mash?

Went back and checked your bucket pic. That thing looks good so should not be doing that to your mash

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mashing in a bucket with holes or in a bag or in a cooler box shouldn't affect the efficiency that much. It's how you do it - the secret is in temperature accuracy (not too high .. or too low) and certain procedures like stirring the mash once in a while and not sparging with too much water.

Read these links:
                http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/...i-rest-mashing

or even better explained here:
                https://grainfather.com/step-mashing...d-why-do-it-2/

I mash in a 50 litre Coleman Cooler box with no circulation .. and I get 75% on average - sometimes 80% when stirring a lot and mashing for 2hrs. Your setup should at least match this.

Another issue I just though of is .. when you sparge, don't let the water run down the side of the bucket too much, water will drain between the side wall and outer layers of the grain - leaving lots of sugars behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                  Or maybe temp was off and you killed all the enzymes with a 75C mash?

Went back and checked your bucket pic. That thing looks good so should not be doing that to your mash

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
                  Mashed in at 71C according to the STC1000

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                  I may be captain obvious here, but did you temp correct when you measured? They're normally calibrated for 20° so if your sample's temp was a bit high, you'd get a lower SG measurement.
                  Sampled at 25 and corrected on the App

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                    Mashing in a bucket with holes or in a bag or in a cooler box shouldn't affect the efficiency that much. It's how you do it - the secret is in temperature accuracy (not too high .. or too low) and certain procedures like stirring the mash once in a while and not sparging with too much water.

Read these links:
                    http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/...i-rest-mashing

or even better explained here:
                    https://grainfather.com/step-mashing...d-why-do-it-2/

I mash in a 50 litre Coleman Cooler box with no circulation .. and I get 75% on average - sometimes 80% when stirring a lot and mashing for 2hrs. Your setup should at least match this.

Another issue I just though of is .. when you sparge, don't let the water run down the side of the bucket too much, water will drain between the side wall and outer layers of the grain - leaving lots of sugars behind.
                    I pretty much sparge over the center, drizzling over the back of a spoon, and stirred a good few times.

Comment

So,

As it turns out the bucket isn't great at high efficiency. <snip>
                      Hangover.jpg

We cant stop drinking ... Maak n plan
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Mashed in at 71C according to the STC1000

- - - Updated - - -

Sampled at 25 and corrected on the App
                        With your setup I'd suggest the following.

1. Make sure your mashing at the right temperature, you say you mashed in at 71 degrees, but what was your mash temperature during the time your malt was steeping? 71 sounds a little low for your bucket set-up.

For comparison, my mash water is heated to 78.6, then pumped into my cooler, which drops the temp to about 73.7, then I mash in and my temp hits exactly 65.0

2. Get some iodine and do the white plate test, a drop of iodine in a small amount of wort will tell you if your mash is complete or if there's still starch to convert.

3. Don't recirculate for the first 30 minutes, give your mash a good stir at 15, and then switch on the pump at 30 minutes.

4. Batch sparge: drain your first running, put in your sparge water, forget the spoon and the carefull drizzling, give your malt a good proper stir after you've added your sparge water and then let it rest for at least 15 minutes, then recirculate for another 15-20 minutes before draining into your kettle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
                          With your setup I'd suggest the following.

3. Don't recirculate for the first 30 minutes, give your mash a good stir at 15, and then switch on the pump at 30 minutes.

4. Batch sparge: drain your first running, put in your sparge water, forget the spoon and the carefull drizzling, give your malt a good proper stir after you've added your sparge water and then let it rest for at least 15 minutes, then recirculate for another 15-20 minutes before draining into your kettle.

Much obliged,

Points 1 and 2 I'm sorted. The mash temp was ~68

Doing a sparge in today's brew and will report back

Comment

• Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
                            Ok, so a bit of research shows that the element in the 50L Caterpride has built in overheat protection, so it doesn't need to be connected to the thermostat to switch off when it thinks it's overheating.

In the attached picture the brown wire is connected to the overheat protection circuit.

To bypass that I need to wire directly to the post on the right of the blue spade where the wire is currently soldered between the circuit and the element post.

Did you solder or set up a spade connector. I now have this issue after 15 brews

Comment

• Initially I just used the existing spade connector, but that eventually loosened, so I soldered it, here are some pics of what it looks like now.

Comment

• Awesome, thanks for this. Will be doing this later after the brew

Comment

Working...
                                X