Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

+1 a 20Amp lead that corresponds to your wall socket and DB switch rating should be better suited.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    +1 a 20Amp lead that corresponds to your wall socket and DB switch rating should be better suited.

Thanks Jigsaw!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Had my first rolling boil ever! Also hit my OG, I think.. The container the hydrometer came in isn't really meant to be used as a measuring flask My third brew. The extension lead and plug got really hot though, should I be worried? Is there something I can do about it?
    Uncoil the extension completely before running high current through it. The coil creates A LOT of heat when you run it too high for a while. It can actually catch fire, so be careful. Unwinding it completely helps with that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Toxxyc and I both have the same plastic urn. Mine has never given me a days hassle, yet his he struggled to get a boil.
    Yeah mine worked in the beginning and then started to die down, in other words, the boil dry switch kept tripping lower and lower. Eventually it tripped when it hit like 35C water. So I opened it, removed the spring and glued the switch into the "on" position with Pratley steel. Now it goes "click" but keeps boiling anyway. Whoo!

For those that have the CaterPride: Any reason why this wouldn't work as a false bottom for it?

https://www.takealot.com/stainless-s...15/description

The 21cm diameter will fit over the element nicely. Would just need to get a solution to prevent it from touching it?

Quote Originally Posted by CaPunT View Post
    For those that have the CaterPride: Any reason why this wouldn't work as a false bottom for it?

https://www.takealot.com/stainless-s...15/description

The 21cm diameter will fit over the element nicely. Would just need to get a solution to prevent it from touching it?
    I will have to double check the element diameter for you 210 mm seems small but I could be wrong. The other issue that I've heard of, I have no experience on it, is that the small diameter of the holes in the sieve / strainer could make it wobble around due to the turbulence in the water.

So, I've mentioned my building a 'Brew in a bucket' build as part of this exercise.

A regular 20lt White PP bucket and I procured the Grain filter and mesh for a Braumeister 20. A little pricey yes but still way less than buying an all in one brew system commercially.

The grain filter and mesh fit PERFECTLY in the bucket si I just need to cut out a section in the bottom of the bucket and I'm going to use 10mm PVC tubing to secure the filter and mesh in place. I saw this in a video I've linked elsewhere here and it works a charm. I was considering getting Food grade Silicon to fix them permanently in place but I like to give it all a good clean so it's better for me if the bucket and fittings can be easily taken apart.

I'll post more pics once the cut out has been made and the tubing been cut to size. I'm off to a braai today so no brew day this weekend but I hope to test it next weekend

I'm not sure if the last pic clearly shows how perfectly this all fits together, and yes I'm going to blank off the center part there

Did you know beforehand that the mesh will fit perfectly ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Did you know beforehand that the mesh will fit perfectly ?
    I took a chance on google and got the diameter of the mesh from there and compared it to the bucket. The chance said it would fit well and it worked out perfectly.

I bottled a Blonde this morning and still a bit wobbly after last night so I'll do the malt-bucket during the week sometime

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    I took a chance on google and got the diameter of the mesh from there and compared it to the bucket. The chance said it would fit well and it worked out perfectly.

I bottled a Blonde this morning and still a bit wobbly after last night so I'll do the malt-bucket during the week sometime
    I did get the PVC pipe done to hold everything in place and to stop grain escaping

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    I did get the PVC pipe done to hold everything in place and to stop grain escaping

How does the pvc handle heat? Sure its only for mashing temps, but is it safe for that?