Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Ok, so not so great.

I've now (mid boil) completely removed the thermostat on the caterpride 50L the element is wired directly to the plug.

My temp is currently stuck at 95/96, and I can hear a thermal switch click on and off.

It seems that the element itself has some kind of temperature controller or safety switch in it. Even wiring the element directly to the plug does not give me a full boil.

Not sure why it was fine the first time and now it just won't boil.

I'll be able to manage on this batch, a rolling boil is preferred, but not an absolute necessity, but I'll need to rethink how to use the urn in future.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paul.stevens View Post
    Ok, so not so great.

My temp is currently stuck at 95/96, and I can hear a thermal switch click on and off.
    Weird, I wonder if yours isn't faulty maybe? I'll see how my next boil goes. I'm tempted to do another one tomorrow but will likely wait until next weekend.

Yea that doesn't make sense, if you hear it switching then there has to be a switch wired in there somewhere. Maybe it's the dry boil protection right in the middle? I'll attach a pic from the Logic. But if you wired it directly to the element then there just cant be switching.

Ok, so a bit of research shows that the element in the 50L Caterpride has built in overheat protection, so it doesn't need to be connected to the thermostat to switch off when it thinks it's overheating.

In the attached picture the brown wire is connected to the overheat protection circuit.

To bypass that I need to wire directly to the post on the right of the blue spade where the wire is currently soldered between the circuit and the element post.

Question guys, I have probably about 5 lt of headspace in my cube, you're all in agreement this won't be an issue?

Jip you'll be fine! I just swish it around and make sure all surfaces are coated with almost boiling wort

An issue on the grainfather, the overheat kicks in if you get scorching - usually from too finely milled grain. You aren't having this issue are you?

Quote Originally Posted by camsaway View Post
    An issue on the grainfather, the overheat kicks in if you get scorching - usually from too finely milled grain. You aren't having this issue are you?
    I don't think so, I'm not doing BIAB, so my urn is boiling clean wort from my cooler box mash tun, I've had an electronic temp gauge in and it's consistently maintaining 95/96 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Jip you'll be fine! I just swish it around and make sure all surfaces are coated with almost boiling wort
    Perfect thanks! I did just that

Crap, so considering these "issues", would you guys still recommend getting a Caterpride?

I didn't get around to going to Makro today but am worried reading about the issues being faced....