Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Fresh wort cubes!

Hey guys,

So I've spoken to Simon and promised him once this takes off and sales get going, I'm going to start paying for full-blown advertising. For now, a thread here is what I can do.

Anyway, I want to introduce you guys to my business. It is quite "work in progress" at this stage, and there's nothing really exciting about it yet, except for my idea and what I want to do. The name is "The Lazy Hunter Brewery". The final idea for this business is going to be in development for YEARS to come, but every business has to start somewhere, and here we are:

D0OZ34j.jpg

I've registered my domain, but I'm still working on my website. This will probably be up within the next week or so. My product I've explained elsewhere as well, but simply, it's a fresh wort cube.

What is a fresh wort cube?
    Well, simply speaking it is a big-ass plastic bottle filled with wort. That's it. The contents is pumped into the bottle, called the "cube" while still boiling hot, and the process sterilizes the inside of the cube and essentially "pasteurizes" it inside the cube. This means that the contents is "preserved", so to speak, and while I haven't done too many tests on it, initial indications are that with proper storage it can last up to 2 years in this cube.

Why is this nice for the home brewer?
    This is pretty nice for three reasons:
    1. For people who are considering brewing, this is a great way to start. The kits (discussed a bit more later) provides them with everything needed to make 20l of homemade beer they can use to brag at their friends with.
    2. For newer brewers, this will give them access to true all-grain wort without having to make the whole thing themselves. It's a good idea to show them what they can achieve if they switch to all-grain brewing while they're still busy with kit-and-kilo brews. Because these kits are "all in one" (discussed a bit more later), they can get a taste for all-grain brews without spending a single cent on the equipment all-grain brewing requires. To boot, this product takes less work and less effort to brew than even a kit-and-kilo brew, as there is no canned and concentrated syrups, no worries about the solidified bags of DME and sugar you have to dissolve, etc. etc.
    3. For experienced brewers, this is a very quick and easy way to get an all-grain brew into a fermenter without spending all the time on a full brew day. There are no concentrated syrups, no worries about "extract twang" and nothing to do other than to ferment the wort. All I have left to ask is this: Who's up for a 2 minute brew day?

What is this "kit" being discussed above?
    Apart from the 20l container filled with fresh wort, the "kit" comes with a packet of brewer's yeast as well as something called an "osmosis cap". This enables someone who wants to start brewing to brew his first batch of beer with literally no additional equipment. The yeast is a generic brewing yeast that's suitable for a wide range of fermentation conditions, so anyone can use it with no ill effect. The osmosis cap acts as an airlock, allowing the escape of CO2 under pressure, but not allowing anything back into the cube, keeping your beer totally safe.

Only after fermentation would the new brewer require a way of bottling his or her homemade beer, but this has been done before with nothing other than a bleach-based sanitiser (such as Jik or Milton's, used for baby bottles), a funnel and some table sugar.

What is the cost of this kit?
    While I haven't come up with a specific cost for every product yet, I have done market research and asked new home brewers on their input on a "fair price" for a product like this. The ballpark figure that was given was "between R500 and R700 for such a kit". This was very appealing to me, as my initial asking price was R600, and I'm sticking to that. This is for a "Vienna lager" style beer, and other beers will obviously have different pricing.

What beers do you offer?
    For now, I only have Vienna lagers on offer. However, I'm rapidly moving to other styles and next up will probably be an IPA or Blonde Ale style beer. As the process makes it a bit difficult to control the hop aroma and flavour in the final product, I am strongly considering adding a little bit of hops into each kit so the home brewer can add this at the end of fermentation to boost the hop aroma and flavour. In total, and for now, I'm targeting 5 beers:
    1. Vienna lager - malty, sweet, low bitterness. Great for a beginner brewer to expose him or her to other styles of beer out there. This is the only one I'm brewing right now.
    2. Pilsner - light coloured beer with a low bitterness and a distinctive hop profile. Still working on this recipe.
    3. Blonde ale/Pale ale - Undecided between the two, but because they are related the idea here is a slightly more hoppy pale beer. Think of a light-colour, slightly hoppy beer.
    4. IPA/APA style beer - Aiming for a hop bomb. For the hop-heads out there, and the home brewer who is possibly not sure what to aim for when making his own. Will definitely be supplied with additional hops to dry-hop at home.
    5. Stout - Here I want to provide a sweet, choc/coffee-based stout. I'm not a big fan of "roasty" stouts, and I feel there are not enough sweet stouts out there. I want to give this to people out there to discover some really easy to drink stouts.

How do I order?
    This is a difficult one. As there is no real business or process in place yet, I would recommend you contact me via PM and ask. At this stage, each cube is made by hand, one by one, by me, at home. I'm looking at other premises to be able to scale up a bit, but for now, this is how it is done. Because of this as well, I don't have hundreds of cubes in stock, and I doubt I'll have hundreds in stock within the next month or two as well.

Like I said - this is work in progress. I've thought and dreamed and prayed about this a lot over the past few weeks, and even more so after I lost my job this week, so please bare with me and understand what's going on if I don't reply immediately, or when production of a cube can take a bit longer than you'd like. I'm REALLY trying here.

So yeah, that's about it. I would REALLY appreciate it if guys here would comment on the idea, ask questions and indicate interest. Would you buy this?, is the main question I want answered. No point in me spending weeks in production of this only to sit with hundreds of litres of wort nobody wants to buy

Thanks for reading all this, I appreciate your time and effort in this.

Kind regards,
    Toxxyc,
    The Lazy Hunter

I'll take a Vienna Lager for sure and a Pilsner kit once you've got it ready for release. R600 is a very fair price, you get a reusable Cube as well in the deal.

I wish you well in this endeavor

Looks like you have thrashed this out in your head pretty well. Well done, looks like a great concept

As a kit brewer I think I would find this very appealing, and probably more that I would as an all grain brewer. I think one of the biggest sells for me in getting into brewing, starting with kit and kilo like most people, was getting very clear instructions from the HBS, even though/ if it contradicted the instruction on the can. I think this would be key to ensure it goes smoothly for the customer and there are no doubts and frustrations through the process. And additional fun information about the technicalities of how beer comes to be would maybe be a nice tough for new brewers using the kits? I did something like this for my bro when I had a very simple beer kit for him one xmas, I can find that and send that to you as a starting point if you like.

Secondly, I think you have a variable you could play with which could make your 'four' options into 'twenty four' options, by offering alternative choices of hops they could dry hop with. If you gave a good description (we know this is your 'thing') of what flavours they may get if they 'choose' dry hop option A, B, or C etc, it may encourage them to get another kit and try a different hope aroma/ flavour option. This is possible exactly what you were alluding to in your other thread, in which case just ignore this last paragraph.

Including a sachet of 'formulated clarifying agent' [gelatine ] would be a nice touch too

But, either way, I think you will nail this. Its a good concept

PS. how much pressure can a cube take? Like a bar maybe?
    Last edited by Langchop; 26th June 2020 at 17:12. Reason: Oh, and I would definately choose a pilsner option
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Was going to say it on the hop thread but maybe this is the better place...

Yes Im saying this.... you could always look into non-unravelling material and sew little (big, really, to accommodate swelling) teabags with hops already in it, that can just be tossed in. Make long tube of the material, sew across at intervals, cut at intevals etc... .then fill each one and sew closed, vacuum pack and freeze until despatch day.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good plan - they do this in the LHBS back home in Aus.
    Surprised no-one has done it here yet - I think there might be some in the offing already, but this is the first announcement I've seen.

Your price seems pretty close to a typical case of beer price so I think you're good there. All the "brewer" will need is a bunch of PET bottles (ie no capper/caps), Milton like you mention, a bottling wand/funnel, some sugar drops and hopefully a hydrometer.
    Would be a really cheap way to get into the hobby with no brewing equipment.

Things I would like to see as extras:
    Hops(you mentioned this) I would get some woven nylon and a heated bag sealer and melt hop pellets into a little square bag.

Deposit on the cube ( so bring back your cube and get x minus cleaning fee)

I'll take a cube to support you

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    I'll take a cube to support you

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    Ditto +1.....
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by camsaway View Post
    Good plan - they do this in the LHBS back home in Aus.
    Surprised no-one has done it here yet - I think there might be some in the offing already, but this is the first announcement I've seen.
    I mentioned it to the LHBS a few years back but they didn't take the bait.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Toxxyc

Mind posting a pic and details on this "osmosis cap" ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!