Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RudiC View Post
    Well, now I have to
    Dont get too hung up on being true to tradition if you don't have the environment/tools to do it right. Rather use an ale yeast if you can't keep to a lager yeasts temperature range. The beer will be better for it and you will really enjoy one of Toxxyc's kits as they are delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachless View Post
    Dont get too hung up on being true to tradition if you don't have the environment/tools to do it right. Rather use an ale yeast if you can't keep to a lager yeasts temperature range. The beer will be better for it and you will really enjoy one of Toxxyc's kits as they are delivered.

Always ask yourself... "Is it beer?"
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

I still have plenty of kits in stock, guys. They have to run!

I marketed this concept to my friends, one (in Jhb) has never brewed before and bought the Lazy Hunter, which is fermenting as we speak. The other (in Cape Town) who has done one all-grain successfully bought the Beerplus pale ale. He made the mistake of adding the hops (for dry hopping) before the yeast. Yesterday he let me know that the beer is undrinkable after a week in the fermenter. Terribly bitter and sour. He did sterilize with iodophor before putting the wort in the fermenter and on my advice diluted it with bottled water instead of tap water. Can the early hop addition be the cause or did bugs get in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks OK to me at the moment. The main thing with adding the hops too early is that the hop aromas escape with the co2 so you lose a lot of the aromas. Hops is good at keeping lacto under control so in addition to his sanitisation its probably not lacto. I also don't see evidence of a pellicle. I would tell him to keep going and finish the fermentation, add gelatine and leave for 2 days to clear up then judge the beer.

Tasting wort during fermentation isn't indicative of flavor, you have heaps of yeast in suspension and it's bitter by nature. Let it finish, cold crash/fine, carbonate and try again

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

+1 looks fine. Most people dont like the taste of beer when it's that young and hasn't got bubbles. See it through wait 1 week for bottle conditioning and decide then

Thanks everyone, Iíve passed on the advice. I always taste the samples I draw for SG and quite enjoy them but Iím only doing 6th all-grain BIAB today so what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell him to close that lid immediately and let it be for a few days more ....
    why on earth take off the lid and let it stand like that while taking photo's ....
    It looks fine, but now he is looking for at change for something to jump in there

Once this is carbonated it might be the best beer he ever tasted

PS: i dont think there's a rule-book that prohibits you from adding hops at yeast pitch time
    Last edited by JIGSAW; 15th August 2020 at 09:39.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

"Terribly sour" might be an indication of something off, but not always. I'd still let it finish up and then have him judge. If it's bad then, then he can dump or distill it.