Adding another hobby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding another hobby!

"Another hobby?!?!" that was exactly what my wife said when I told her I wanted to start home brewing.
    She is kinda right. Between mountainbiking, fishing, home automation, running, squash, wood working and 3D printing she probably has a point!!

Anyway she knows I will end up doing it either way

I would like to get into all grain brewing and Im probably going to go with a biab setup in an electric urn that I will control with an ESP32 and later will add a pump to make a DIY Grainfather.
    Im not planning batches larger than 20L at any stage and it seems an urn is less than half the price of a similar sized pot. Hopefully the 35L urn I have my eye on will be fine for that.

Now its a case of waiting until things get back to normal, I still have to buy all of the grains/bags/hops etc and it doesnt look like any one supplier has everything I need in stock.
    So for now its a waiting game as I plan everything out. I still have more research to do so its probably better to do that before ruining my first batch.

Wow that is a comprehensive list of hobbies! Welcome dude and enjoy. It's really fun and you can get in as deep as you want

Comment

My hobbies changed a bit from scuba, mtb'ing to road cycling to superbike racing (privateer) to now lego from technic to robotics, airsofting and gaming with my boy to beer brewing and some distilling.Heck I even picked up straight razor shaving along the way. I dabbled in cooking and bbqing on the kamado inbetween.

All grain is where its at, do check the internal volume on the urn, some are specced with external volumes in mind. Ill happily trade you brewing "secrets" for automation secrets :-)

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post

I would like to get into all grain brewing and Im probably going to go with a biab setup in an electric urn that I will control with an ESP32 and later will add a pump to make a DIY Grainfather.
        Im not planning batches larger than 20L at any stage and it seems an urn is less than half the price of a similar sized pot. Hopefully the 35L urn I have my eye on will be fine for that.
        There's a good thread on the go focusing on a 50lt Urn build for BIAB 35 lt might be cutting it fine for 20lt end product

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          My hobbies changed a bit from scuba, mtb'ing to road cycling to superbike racing (privateer) to now lego from technic to robotics, airsofting and gaming with my boy to beer brewing and some distilling.Heck I even picked up straight razor shaving along the way. I dabbled in cooking and bbqing on the kamado inbetween.

All grain is where its at, do check the internal volume on the urn, some are specced with external volumes in mind. Ill happily trade you brewing "secrets" for automation secrets :-)

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
          Straight razors are an interesting topic, I found myself looking into it a lot a while back. Fortunately I lost interest before I got caught.

I will happy trade automation secrets for brewing ones, I sure need all the help I can get there!

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
            There's a good thread on the go focusing on a 50lt Urn build for BIAB 35 lt might be cutting it fine for 20lt end product
            I have been watching that thread, I havent been able to find any 50L urns locally but then again East London is close enough to a 1 horse town.

Comment

Working...
            X