Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lessons learned buying in haste

So, I purchased, what was described on the website as a 'large' grain bag suitable for 6 - 8kg grainbills for the price of R320.00

MY a$$ 6 - 8 kg grainbills, maybe 3 - 5 at a push. Anyway, did some further research and picked up a 2300mm X 1200mm Voile curtain from Pep home for R90.

I guess I have a very expensive hop sock now

I eventually got the voile too. They sold minimum 3m of the 4.5m wide roll.

I now have lots of grain bags
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    So, I purchased, what was described on the website as a 'large' grain bag suitable for 6 - 8kg grainbills for the price of R320.00

MY a$$ 6 - 8 kg grainbills, maybe 3 - 5 at a push. Anyway, did some further research and picked up a 2300mm X 1200mm Voile curtain from Pep home for R90.

I guess I have a very expensive hop sock now
    I need a new bag and was going to get this so thanks for the heads up. Please let me know how the curtain goes?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johncoram89 View Post
    I need a new bag and was going to get this so thanks for the heads up. Please let me know how the curtain goes?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Got a brew day coming up this weekend, will let you know

All BIAB peeps end up with voile. Even the expensive bags sold for the purpose are voile

THIS is how i originally made my bags, but i had the sewing done professionally
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    THIS is how i originally made my bags, but i had the sewing done professionally
    I want one, after my cold water sparge success yesterday, my sparge water heater (20l urn) will be used for cereal and cracked corn mashing - I hate both of those btw, but it's worth it for bourbon / rye whiskey

I found the voille too fine if I wanted to re-circ (wort built up in the bag faster than it could run out) so I've ended up with a nylon mesh instead.

Just dropped the curtains off at a local tailor. R120 and I will have 2 super large bags that fit the 50lt Urn very comfortably

Quote Originally Posted by camsaway View Post
    I found the voille too fine if I wanted to re-circ (wort built up in the bag faster than it could run out) so I've ended up with a nylon mesh instead.

I only get that when I have plenty of wheat or rye in the grist.

That said, AFAIK you get different thickness of Voile, so maybe yours was just very very fine.

I also use double bag just for safety
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!