Ideal PID controller setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal PID controller setup

I want to build a PID controller but being slightly anal about things I will not slap it into an old ice-cream tub.

So, what would be your ideal PID setup?
    I will laser cut the box and bend into a nice little unit.

Some thoughts to start with:
    Face plate - cutout for the PID, illuminated on/off rocker switch, maybe a fuse (or a resettable fuse).
    Rear - In and out kettle plug, out for a PT100 temperature sensor.
    Sides - holes / slots for heat to escape / alternatively in the bottom with feet to raise box off the surface.

I think I might make standoffs for the heatsink of the SSR so as not to transfer heat to the box.

Everything comes at a premium so this setup could be pricey.
    I will probable not go the Banggood route as it appears as if their "specials" only come with type J or Type K thermocouplers.

Would one want 2 temperature probes? This would make the PID more expensive but not by much.

The PT100 probes come in various lengths - would I be correct I assuming that a 5mm x 50mm would fit into most thermowells?

Would one want to add a CT to monitor current - then a VA meter will be required unless the CT just triggers the PID alarm. A matching PID / VA meter will really push up the price though.

Ideas?
    Wish list?
    Bad idea, Home brewers are poor people!

I'm going for one of these

https://smartpid.com/smart-homebrewing/

time is money and me buggering up something will double the cost...also, it has brewfather integration

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndsay View Post
      I want to build a PID controller but being slightly anal about things I will not slap it into an old ice-cream tub.

So, what would be your ideal PID setup?
      I will laser cut the box and bend into a nice little unit.

Some thoughts to start with:
      Face plate - cutout for the PID, illuminated on/off rocker switch, maybe a fuse (or a resettable fuse).
      Rear - In and out kettle plug, out for a PT100 temperature sensor.
      Sides - holes / slots for heat to escape / alternatively in the bottom with feet to raise box off the surface.

Wish list?

Wish list? that something like this would be available for purchase Mine is probably going into a Project box from Communica or something similar

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
        Wish list? that something like this would be available for purchase Mine is probably going into a Project box from Communica or something similar
        Ja maybe - I have access to laser cutting so drilling holes into plastic AND spacing properly (and square) would drive me insane.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          I'm going for one of these

https://smartpid.com/smart-homebrewing/

time is money and me buggering up something will double the cost...also, it has brewfather integration

Hmmmm.... Now you make trouble
          I like things with lights and stuff ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndsay View Post
            Hmmmm.... Now you make trouble
            I like things with lights and stuff ...
            About the same price as the gf connect controller too

Comment

I have a project that's been standing for years. Kind of an adaptation from existing parts I had from a previous project. Laser cut u shape cover in 1.2mm steel. You could find those sockets that have plastic collars around the holes and get the cover laser cut to neatly fit the socket like that. The bottom plate was also laser cut with all the slots to fit PID, switch, fan vents etc. Laser cutting is the best thing ever. If you are doing the bending yourself at least you know it will be done right.
              Langchop
              Last edited by Langchop; 3 July 2020, 11:08. Reason: I did my current STC box in a similar way, but more hacking and bashing of already made parts
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
              X