Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegging Decision

Hi

I wonder if I could get some advice. I've decided to get going on kegging. I have most of the kit (bought as part of a keggle keezer purchase last year), except the actual keg. I have 2x S type couplers. However I'm not clear, based on mostly availability and size options, whether going for Euro type s couplers kegs is smart just because I have the couplers . My Keezer could fit 2x 30l slimline I reckon, but apart from dispense.co.za these don't seem very commonly availble? 30l is also just a bit too big, was hoping to keg 20l and bottle 10l for friends (but I suppose I could go the growler route for that). Thoughts would be appreciated ;-). Specific question: Am I correct that deciding not to stick with the s types that I have (ie buying a different coupler or going straight to Corny Kegs), it will only be the couplers that I'm 'giving up on' not the rest of the set up: regulator, tap etc?

Thanks!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

What's the volume of wort you produce on a typical brew day? That could be an indication

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Beerplus has slim 30l kegs, sometimes in stock sometimes not, currently not.

I'm going Corny keg, tired of mini kegs and bottling

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        What's the volume of wort you produce on a typical brew day? That could be an indication

Currently 19l, but hoping to bump up to around 30l except for specialty brews, which I'd carry on bottling anyway ( ie this is is part of a general upgrade from a 50l biab urn, to a 3 vessel keggle herms system). The flexibility of the corny keg range (eg a 10l to take to a party keg is appealing).

Would it be crazy to mix and match? Eg I get my two standard 30l for my fixed taps, and have a couple of corny kegs? Or will that entail a life of constant fixture moving and frustration.

Comment

Id get an extra tap and dedicate it to the non standard keg/s, so you dont have to naff about changing beerlines

Comment

@Matthew De Gale Welcome

Good luck getting that Keezer up and running. You're gonna love kegging. I hardly ever bottle these days and when I do, it's from the keg

PS: If I had the couplers, I would try get my hands on some slimline kegs
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks all. Looking to order an initial 30l slimline from dispense.co.za

Comment

Just kegged my blonde. Man ended up making 25l of it. The extra 5l took longer to bottle then the 20 did to keg. Man is need to stop lowballing my efficiency numbers in app. Anyway happy brewing.
                Decided to resurrect this thread just for this.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

LOL +1 ... I only make 20L batches these days just to not have to bottle anything after the keg is full

Comment

Same, my batches fill a keg, no more no less. Kegging also follow covid protocols. You should be staying at home, where your kegs are

Comment

OK so now I'm in the process of struggling with this decision. I'm slowly but surely getting sick and tired of bottling. I never take beers anywhere, and if I do they're usually no-booze beers as I have to drive. In the rare event that I'll need a bunch of bottled beers, I can always bottle into Grolsch bottles and seal them for taking along.

I'm looking to start small. One keg, at most. What would the cost be? It can be as cheap as it can, I don't mind. Small CO2 cylinder, etc. I've got a bar fridge I would like to use as the kegerator, but I'm not sure if a keg would fit.

So now the questions - what keg would fit? What fittings does one decide on? I've seen people talk about pin lock and ball lock things, Type A, G and all other alphabetical spears, etc. Taps, lines, pipes, gas regulators and secondary regulators. So what gives?

Can't I just buy a keg, a CO2 cylinder, pipe for beer and pipe for gas with a tap on the pipe for beer and call it a day?

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        OK so now I'm in the process of struggling with this decision. I'm slowly but surely getting sick and tired of bottling. I never take beers anywhere, and if I do they're usually no-booze beers as I have to drive. In the rare event that I'll need a bunch of bottled beers, I can always bottle into Grolsch bottles and seal them for taking along.

I'm looking to start small. One keg, at most. What would the cost be? It can be as cheap as it can, I don't mind. Small CO2 cylinder, etc. I've got a bar fridge I would like to use as the kegerator, but I'm not sure if a keg would fit.

So now the questions - what keg would fit? What fittings does one decide on? I've seen people talk about pin lock and ball lock things, Type A, G and all other alphabetical spears, etc. Taps, lines, pipes, gas regulators and secondary regulators. So what gives?

Can't I just buy a keg, a CO2 cylinder, pipe for beer and pipe for gas with a tap on the pipe for beer and call it a day?
                        Add regulator + keg connectors

Comment

OK so keg, tap, regulator, CO2 cylinder, beer line, gas line, keg connectors, done? That's like R4k minimum from what I can see, even if I shop around.

Comment

That sounds about right, possibly even a few hundred ront more.

I use R50 picnic taps in the kegerator itself. Not sexy, but work 100%.

Also, bear in mind, that unless you plan your brews very well, and are happy with a dry day or two while you cold crash and carbonate, it may be better to bite the bullet and get at least two kegs.

Comment

9l kegs fit nicely - most bar fridges have the "box" inside where the compressors are. I opted for the 9l due to that reason - keg half and bottle the other half of my brew.
                              Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Working...
                              X