Twin compartment chest freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin compartment chest freezer

I'm thinking of converting a chest freezer to a temperature controlled chamber. It seems it would be useful to split the freezer into two chambers with individual temperature control so that I can ferment and lager at the same time. I'm thinking of borrowing the concept from the camping fridges and building a polystyrene compartment within the freezer which will be the warm compartment fitted with a fan and heat pad and it's own temperature controller. The system would require 2 temperature controllers, one temp controller will control the freezer compressor and the cold chamber. A second temp controller will activate a fan to blow cold air into the second warmer compartment for cooling or activate the heating pad. Has anyone done this before? Is it useful?

I dont think this is going to work since the cooling tubes runs thru the whole freezer, even the side you want warmer, so it's going to be a continues "fight" between the two controllers .... not to mention the excessive condensation you're going to have to deal with

Bad idea in my eyes
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      I dont think this is going to work since the cooling tubes runs thru the whole freezer, even the side you want warmer, so it's going to be a continues "fight" between the two controllers .... not to mention the excessive condensation you're going to have to deal with

Bad idea in my eyes
      This. And with the compressor delay built in to the STC-1000, your temps are going to fluctuate wildly. Rather get a separate chamber for lagering. Preferably not a freezer. I've frozen a full batch solid when I wanted to "lager" it a few years ago. Now I use a fridge.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I think I will need to rethink this plan.

Comment

Take that freezer. Turn it into a keezer. Drill a big hole in the side of the 2x6 plank and add in a piece of flexable ducting. Build an insulated box next to it with a fan connected to the ducting and the cold side of the stc and a heat pad for the hot side. You can line it with planks outside to make it pretty. Boom you have everything you need

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
            Take that freezer. Turn it into a keezer. Drill a big hole in the side of the 2x6 plank and add in a piece of flexable ducting. Build an insulated box next to it with a fan connected to the ducting and the cold side of the stc and a heat pad for the hot side. You can line it with planks outside to make it pretty. Boom you have everything you need
            This could work yes ... steal cold air from the freezer for an external enclosure.

Fit an auto close flap with the fan that closes the duct when fan stops so cold air doesn't escape 24/7
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
              Sounds like a plan, I have seen some builds just to give a bigger space using a bar fridge then building a box around it, but this could work for a twin compartment idea.

Comment

Working...
              X