Pitched less than recommended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitched less than recommended

The title says it all. Being a noob I have had little regard for the most important workers in the brewery. For some reason I never realised that a specific number of yeast cells must be pitched for a good fermentation. I just presumed that I should but a sachet (11.5g) re-hydrate according to the package instructions and ferment at the requisite temperature.

However, after making a lager on Tuesday, I started reading up on my yeast (Saflager W-34/70) and it seems that I should have pitched more than 1 sachet. See the calculations from MrMalty below.

My Question:

I have made 18litres and according to MrMalty, should have pitched 15g of yeast. I only pitched 11.5g.

• What effect will this have on my fermentation?
    • Should I order another pack of yeast to pitch? - that will take a few days, what are the adverse effects of pitching more yeast later.

Any other tips or tricks?

Thanks

pitch calc.PNG

Relax. Beer will be fine. I brew on a budget for the most part, so I've pitched yeast intended for 10l into 24l batches before, and it came out well. Just keep in mind the fermentation might take a tiny tad longer to complete, and treat the yeast well during this time.

Next time - just make a starter. I keep some wort in the freezer for this purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      Relax. Beer will be fine.
      Thanks Toxxyc! Literally 10 minutes after posting the airlock started bubbling like crazy.

Comment

No worries there, I pitched two sachets (bohemian lager yeast) into 42 litres of wort with no issues, fermented down to FG 1.10 within a week..

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
          No worries there, I pitched two sachets (bohemian lager yeast) into 42 litres of wort with no issues, fermented down to FG 1.10 within a week..
          Man, that yeast added sugar to your beer? Nice!

Comment

1.010 HE HE! Finger error..

Comment

Originally posted by BushWanderer View Post
              The title says it all. Being a noob I have had little regard for the most important workers in the brewery. For some reason I never realised that a specific number of yeast cells must be pitched for a good fermentation. I just presumed that I should but a sachet (11.5g) re-hydrate according to the package instructions and ferment at the requisite temperature.

However, after making a lager on Tuesday, I started reading up on my yeast (Saflager W-34/70) and it seems that I should have pitched more than 1 sachet. See the calculations from MrMalty below.

My Question:

I have made 18litres and according to MrMalty, should have pitched 15g of yeast. I only pitched 11.5g.

• What effect will this have on my fermentation?
              • Should I order another pack of yeast to pitch? - that will take a few days, what are the adverse effects of pitching more yeast later.

Any other tips or tricks?

Thanks
              You'll need more if you use the correct date

Screenshot_1.jpg

...but like everyone said, You'll be fine
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
              X