Frankenstein Portable "Three Kettle" Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one Paul!

What piping/hose have you got there if I may ask? doesnt look like silicone?

Comment

The pipe is a piece of clear syphon tube from Beergauvara I had lying around, I plan to upgrade that with some silicon soon.

My quick release fittings are arriving next week so I can have a proper hose setup.

My brew today was for a 20L batch.

Some feedback on the recirculation.

I recirculated for pretty much the entire 60 minutes and ended up with a really clear wort with 14 litres of mash water and 4.75kg of grain I mashed out at 1.060

Temperature drop was about 4 degrees over the hour but staying within mash temp range.

Unfortunately I then over sparged by 2 liters so my FG was a little low, but still acceptable for the style (Vienna Lager) so I just left it there and decided that two extra liters of beer is not a tragedy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone know if I be able to pump wort backwards through a B111-P pump? Does it have any back pressure? Trying to limit the amount of valves on my new system I'm designing.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachless View Post
          Does anyone know if I be able to pump wort backwards through a B111-P pump? Does it have any back pressure? Trying to limit the amount of valves on my new system I'm designing.
          Nope. Its a centrifugal.

Not sure what you mean with the back pressure, but its doesnt 'close' when off. ie. if you pumped into a pipe to a higher level and then turned off, then it would drain back down to the tank fluid level.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
            Nope. Its a centrifugal.

Not sure what you mean with the back pressure, but its doesnt 'close' when off. ie. if you pumped into a pipe to a higher level and then turned off, then it would drain back down to the tank fluid level.
            Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. I'm basically trying to have two pumps and 2 valves on a 2v system (Brutus 20 inspired). I'll have to pump from one pump through the other pump during transfer to get that right. Will start a thread once parts start coming in.

Comment

In that case, yes you can pump backwards thru the 2nd pump (2nd pump being off in other words)
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Some more updates.

IMG_20200718_152941.jpg

Quick release connectors arrived, making my hose Management much neater and cleaner.

IMG_20200718_153152.jpg

Also added a whirlpool/filler valve to the Boil Kettle, once the pumps arrive I'll be able to pump wort back into the kettle during cooling to speed up the cooling and create a whirlpool, no more stirring, yeah.

IMG_20200718_123027.jpg

IMG_20200722_103327.jpg

Fitted a plug to the urns replacing the fixed cords, this makes it. Slot easier to manage cables etc, especially during cleaning and moving them around.
                Attached Files

Comment

FFS, this damn site that keeps flipping the fucking images

Comment

This is coming out really impressively. If you don't mind, how much have you spent on this build so far?

I've found with my projects that they seem like they're cheap at first because each buy is only a couple hundred bucks, but added up it takes the breath away.
                    BushWanderer
                    Last edited by BushWanderer; 22 July 2020, 15:40. Reason: I suck at proof reading before posting

Comment

Looks great. Looking at doing the same. If I may ask Where did you get those quick release connectors.

Comment

The quick connectors I found online from the Go Green Store, https://ggstore.co.za/

Comment

Originally posted by BushWanderer View Post
                          This is coming out really impressively. If you don't mind, how much have you spent on this build so far?

I've found with my projects that they seem like they're cheap at first because each buy is only a couple hundred bucks, but added up it takes the breath away.
                          I'm not sure exactly what the total is so far, I'll need to go work it out. But my goal is to stay under R 10,000.

The costliest single component is going to be the control panel which is working out roughly R 4,000. But it can be done for about half of that.

I'm ordering the last of the components next week, the I'll add everything up and post the bill of materials and cost.

Comment

Sounds fancy, what controller are you going to use?

Comment

Originally I was going to use Rex-C100's but the aluminium case required me to look at the size.

I've now got the Sinotimer C401's that fit in the case along with all the other switches, lights and relays that I needed.

I posted a mock-up of the control panel layout a little further back in the thread.

The final setup will be a portable temperature controlled HERMS system that will allow me to do stepped mashing with precise temperature control for the HLT, Mash Tun and Kettle.

The remaining work now Is to fit the herms coil to the HLT, which I'll do next week some time and then the control panel which will probably be completed in about two weeks once the bits and pieces have arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverBullet View Post
                                Looks great. Looking at doing the same. If I may ask Where did you get those quick release connectors.
                                @SilverBullet Welcome

Comment

Working...
                                X