Yeast rafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast rafts

So, 6 days into fermentation and I see these. Are these Yeast rafts I've read about? anything to be concerned about? This is my first all grain brew after many kit/extract brews so just a little paranoid.

Do I bin it or just relax

Eish. Looking forward to other replies. Never seen it looking quite so 'chunky'
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

What beer, ingredients and yeast? That doesn't look like yeast to me. Were you totally sanitary?

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        What beer, ingredients and yeast? That doesn't look like yeast to me. Were you totally sanitary?
        Smash. Pilsen/Tettnang
        S04

Cleaned all equipment with that MJ Granules and sanitized with Iodophor
        BackOffMyBrew
        Last edited by BackOffMyBrew; 11 July 2020, 16:13.

Comment

I used s04 once and also got some funny looking floaters! I think your fine. But to be sure RAHAHB. btw that was the last time I used S04. But the beer was fine

Comment

It's feta cheese ... scoop off and enjoy with crackers and the beer once carbonated
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              It's feta cheese ... scoop off and enjoy with crackers and the beer once carbonated
              I'm going to assume that means you reckon it's okay

Comment

Whats the temperature and lighting situation? I dont think you should worry at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachless View Post
                  Whats the temperature and lighting situation? I dont think you should worry at this point.
                  Room temperature at the moment, still sorting a new fermentation chamber. It's kept in a closed cupboard in a room with the curtains closed

Comment

What bothers me about it is that blueish tint it seems to have.

Comment

What bothers me about it is that blueish tint it seems to have.
                      I'm hoping that's just because the carboy is blue

Comment

iirc s-04 is a bottom fermenting yeast, you may have some that floated to the top with c02. i do keep the lid on things until fermentation is done, so i rarely see what's happening. i also wont worry about it, let it finish, crash and fine it and you'll have beer.

maybe put a blanket over it so you dont see it :-D

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          iirc s-04 is a bottom fermenting yeast, you may have some that floated to the top with c02. i do keep the lid on things until fermentation is done, so i rarely see what's happening. i also wont worry about it, let it finish, crash and fine it and you'll have beer.

maybe put a blanket over it so you dont see it :-D
                          I have it covered with an old t-shirt anyway to keep light out when I do open the cupboard. Everything I've read says it will either make the beer taste crap or good if it is an infection. I'm gonna wait out the 2 week fermentation time and pop it into party kegs for another 2 weeks and see what's what then

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                            I'm hoping that's just because the carboy is blue
                            Yeah that'll do it. The 'worm things' on there I have seen before. Not in my brews, but on other forums. Actually in a wine brew, if I remember correctly. So it should be fine

Comment

Yeah that'll do it. The 'worm things' on there I have seen before. Not in my brews, but on other forums. Actually in a wine brew, if I remember correctly. So it should be fine
                              I posted on an international forum as well that I hardly ever go to, they also said S-04 has some funky flocculations and also that I might have missed early pellicle formation. I didn't notice anything funky then but to be honest the beginning of the ferment was vigorous through the blow off tube and I couldn't see much. I changed to a bung and airlock on day 3

Comment

Working...
                              X