Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made fermentation buckets

Howdy,
    If any of you have been following my posts you'll now I've been having fermentation challenges which has meant that my only fermenter has been occupied for nearly a month. Fermentation buckets are a royal pain in the butt to get here but there are tons of food grade 20l buckets used for cooking oil for next to nothing (R20). So I'm thinking of trying to make my own fermenters. I have bought two oil buckets to experiment with for fermentation. I have tested to see how airtight they are by filling with water and holding upside down, it has a small trickle but seals quite well. I figured maybe won't work for fermentation and forgot about the idea.
    Just the other day I saw a brew kit they sell in Aussie and the US (see https://www.mrbeer.com/lbk-fermenter) that doesn't have an airlock it just has a imperfect seal around the edges and the positive pressure in the fermenter keeps O2 out, which is effectively what my oil bucket would do.
    I did buy an extra airlock on my last order so I'm thinking about experimenting a little. Do a 30l brew 15l in one bucket 15 in the other.
    Bucket 1 just as standard with lose seal around the edge.
    Bucket 2, I put some silicon in the lid to make a better seal and install airlock.

Questions:
    anyone ever done something similar?
    Anything I should lookout for?

if it ferments fine it means I'll have practically unlimited access to fermentation chambers so no excuses to to brew more often

There are people that ferment beers with NO lid on. (the traditional way to do a weiss)

I'm sure that using the bucket as is, with the lid that allows the excess pressure to escape and keeps the "bugs" from "falling" in, will work just fine.

my 2c

Comment

It'll work, most fermentation vessels doesn't seal a 100%. I wouldn't add silicone, put some saran (glad) wrap over the hole and screw the cap or do a makeshift plumbers tape affair. and for the love of all that is good and holy, make sure those oil buckets are super clean and the sanitized

some headspace blah blah you may (or not) want to read for your experiment
      http://brulosophy.com/2017/03/13/the...iment-results/
      http://brulosophy.com/2019/02/18/imp...iment-results/

Comment

The Coopers fermenter also uses no air lock quite successfully

Comment

I've been fermenting in 25 Litre buckets for a long time with zero issues.

The black ones are great and don't let any light in to interfere with your yeast. And are made from Poly Propeline so are completely food safe.

They don't seal 100%, but once fermentation is happening you have a positive pressure inside so nothing gets in through the small minor air gaps and the bubblers cheerfully blub along.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can actually buy brand new 25L buckets for only a couple of rand more. I think R30 at Mambos last time I looked. Then no issues with old cooking oil (but still wash and sanitise before use!

PS. And they seal well - if you care about that.

Comment

I ferment in 20l (clean) plastic paint buckets with a hole in the top in which I force a blow off tube. I only have one airlock but run my two other buckets with blow offs. Not ideal but it gets it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I only ever used the 25l food grade buckets as that's all that was available when I started and haven't had a reason to change. I don't like the taps either and prefer a racking cane to transfer into my kegs or bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                  <SNIP>
                  You're overthinking this
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

+1 for overthinking it. I haven't used an airlock for years. Just a cover over the lid vent.

No point bending backwards to seal up when there is active, positive pressure, fermentation on the go and then later taking the whole lid off to dry hop
                    Langchop
                    Last edited by Langchop; 18 July 2020, 16:01.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                      +1 for overthinking it. I haven't used an airlock for years. Just a cover over the lid vent.

No point bending backwards to seal up when there is active, positive pressure, fermentation on the go and then later taking the while lid off to dry hop
                      If you've ever been in a commercial or craft brewery during a brew day, you'll realise that as home brewers, we're much more pedantic about things than we really need to be.

That's not a bad thing and noone really wants to ruin a batch of beer, but it's harder to ruin one than you might imagine.

During a boil and once the fermentation is active and alcohol is present, there's very little you can do that will ruin your batch.

Except maybe confusing Citric Acid for your bottling sugar [emoji19]

Comment

Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post

At least that only happens once

Comment

Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post

Haibo!!

Comment

ouch.
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                            X