What if... kk middelA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if... kk middelA

So we brewed a Cascade hops APA the other day.
    My wife made a boo boo... call it beginners luck or whatever..
    She put the hops in the mash [emoji849].

So.
    This is a very nice beer. In fact, I really like it.
    Did we stuff it up? Create new convention?
    We are total amateurs but this beer is really good.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mash hopping is a thing although used more with no boil recipes. I think over the 10000+ years of brewing we've manage to try most things.

Beer looks good though, the first beer you make is always memorable.

Comment

If it tastes good to you enjoy it. The only people you need to worry about are those drinking it.
      SBRAHAHB

Comment

The bitterness would be higher, added all the hops in the mash? You could work out the ibu if you know at what temp and when you added how much of hop. If all, I'll assume most were removed when the grains went, which would add difficulty for the calculation..

Eh, if you like it then it's successful, bugger what anyone else thinks. Congratulations on the beer!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks.
          Now to remember exactly what we did.

It is certainly becoming my favourite

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            The bitterness would be higher, added all the hops in the mash? You could work out the ibu if you know at what temp and when you added how much of hop. If all, I'll assume most were removed when the grains went, which would add difficulty for the calculation..

Eh, if you like it then it's successful, bugger what anyone else thinks. Congratulations on the beer!

Less you mean

On a 60min addition you only get about 20% of you intended IBU's if you add it to the mash and not the boil, so on average you need to add about 5x more hops to the mash to get the same bitterness

@Lyndsay juicy looking beer tho
            JIGSAW
            Last edited by JIGSAW; 19 July 2020, 13:17.
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yeah sure, I've never looked into how to hop mashing

Comment

So basically hop mashing (or mashing hops?) can actually be done!

Is it worth it though?
                What would be the intended result if, as I understand from the above, that you would have add so much more to achieve the required IBU. Are there some subtle flavours that linger as a result of this?

Comment

Or mash hopping. I dont even know what we are talking about anymore!?

If I recall correctly, I think they explore this with 'raw' beer that they dont boil afterward. Im going on vague memory, so dont quote me on that.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndsay View Post
                    So basically hop mashing (or mashing hops?) can actually be done!

Is it worth it though?
                    What would be the intended result if, as I understand from the above, that you would have add so much more to achieve the required IBU. Are there some subtle flavours that linger as a result of this?

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/nn8JS0xA0V/
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Cool... thankyou

Comment

Working...
                      X