No announcement yet.

US-05 3 day ferment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using a stainless steel meat-injector to draw samples, came with a nice long thick 'needle' , I just pull out the airlock and draw a sample through there. Sprayed with Acidisan first of course

Comment

If you pitched Monday you should be thinking of dry hopping asap. But yes sample and then decide

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
        +1 what BOMB said. rely on readings more than bubbles. Also, dont get too hung up on opening a lid to take a look, it wont catastrophically ruin a batch. But dont do it every 5 minutes like Toxxyc

Thats a cool start for US05 but it will get there
        LOL, yes this ... have a look ... how else you gonna learn ... have a look every morning if you have to
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I was looking for a wine thief but BOMB's meat injector will probably be easier to find.
          I will take a reading in the morning to see what is happening.

Comment

So I ended up santising my SG meter and popping it straight into the fermentation bucket, I really need to get one of those test tube type things for testing.
            SG was 1.045 and its currently at 1.020, there looks like a bit of activity but its not doing a lot.
            I dry hopped yesterday based on Jannie's suggestion so Im going to leave it for a few days to see what happens.

Now Im a little lost, my research isnt really helping here...

Do I leave it for another week like it is?
            Its been a bit warmer here over the last few days and the temp in the room its fermenting in is around 22deg now. Do you think that might wake it up a bit or should I raise the temp?

I really need to get a fermentation fridge, its such a pity I gave away my old fridge a few months ago! It seems the usual suspects who buy, refurb and sell fridges on Gumtree/Facebook etc are snapping them up fast around here.
            Im seriously considering buying a new bar fridge when they are on special for the lower energy consumption. Would something like that be big enough?

Comment

In retrospect, 2x smaller fermfridges would have been better than my large fridge only setup. Look for one without the hump

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                In retrospect, 2x smaller fermfridges would have been better than my large fridge only setup. Look for one without the hump

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
                I figured having separate smaller ones would be better long term for different fermentation temps etc.
                I need to do something about that sooner rather than later, its the only step I dont have well covered but it arguably one of the most important.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                  I really need to get a fermentation fridge, its such a pity I gave away my old fridge a few months ago! It seems the usual suspects who buy, refurb and sell fridges on Gumtree/Facebook etc are snapping them up fast around here.
                  Im seriously considering buying a new bar fridge when they are on special for the lower energy consumption. Would something like that be big enough?
                  I’m in the same boat – struggling to find something suitable. I’ve yet to find a bar fridge that is big enough. The hump in the back where the compressor sits makes a bar fridge too shallow to fit the fermenter unless you modify the bar fridge with a wooden collar similar to how people add a collar to a freezer for a keezer modification – I’m however sceptical on how efficient that would be from an insulation point of view so I wouldn’t want to buy a new fridge to modify. By all accounts small chest freezers are very efficient, though the downsides are freezer aren’t designed to deal with condensation / moisture like fridges do and you have to lift fermenters up and into the freezer.

Comment

Been wondering how to fit more "stuff" in my chest freezer. The keezer collar thing seems to be the way to go, but also have my concerns around "efficiency". Not sure how big a difference it is going to make, maybe at lower temps, but on the 18-22 should be okish, I think?

I also agree lifting 25/30kg buckets in and out is a mission. I have an awkward angle which I have to do this at, which is a pain. The under the counter fridges are so tempting.. but damn they are so expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                      I’m in the same boat – struggling to find something suitable. I’ve yet to find a bar fridge that is big enough. The hump in the back where the compressor sits makes a bar fridge too shallow to fit the fermenter unless you modify the bar fridge with a wooden collar similar to how people add a collar to a freezer for a keezer modification – I’m however sceptical on how efficient that would be from an insulation point of view so I wouldn’t want to buy a new fridge to modify. By all accounts small chest freezers are very efficient, though the downsides are freezer aren’t designed to deal with condensation / moisture like fridges do and you have to lift fermenters up and into the freezer.
                      I was wondering about chest freezers, I see a lot of the international Youtubers use them instead of fridges. I can only brew max of about 18L batches so lifting fermenters isnt a big deal for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                        Been wondering how to fit more "stuff" in my chest freezer. The keezer collar thing seems to be the way to go, but also have my concerns around "efficiency". Not sure how big a difference it is going to make, maybe at lower temps, but on the 18-22 should be okish, I think?

I also agree lifting 25/30kg buckets in and out is a mission. I have an awkward angle which I have to do this at, which is a pain. The under the counter fridges are so tempting.. but damn they are so expensive.
                        I wouldnt worry about efficiency with a chest freezer, cold air sinks and supermarket freezers dont even have a closed top for that exact reason.
                        Fridges being upright are a much bigger issue and cold air is going to try sneak out at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          In retrospect, 2x smaller fermfridges would have been better than my large fridge only setup.
                          This. One for fermentation, one for lagering. Or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                            This. One for fermentation, one for lagering. Or something like that.
                            different temp fermentations, also smaller space to cool and possibly smaller footprint. i do brew around it by making similar styles to fill up the thing.
                            i bought a 210l chestfreezer that turned into a keezer and if it was slightly larger, i'd be happier, just can't fit a 50l keg without lifting it over the hump, which sucks. 10mm or something out of whack

Comment

Yet if you look at the space the compressor and wiring needs on the outside, those damn humps can be a lot smaller
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yeah I don't know if I'll do a keezer when I go kegging. Or a kidge. Or kegarator. Whatever you call the fridge one. I'll probably go the chiller plate route. I don't drink enough, so I'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                                X