No announcement yet.

US-05 3 day ferment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for interest's sake, Snomaster manufactures a kegerator at around R7500. It can fit 3 corny kegs.

I have a chill plate and although it makes the beer ice cold, it is a schlep to prepare with ice every time I want to drink a beer. Had unexpected visitors over last night, had to offer them coffee...the beer was not cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
      Just for interest's sake, Snomaster manufactures a kegerator at around R7500. It can fit 3 corny kegs.

I have a chill plate and although it makes the beer ice cold, it is a schlep to prepare with ice every time I want to drink a beer. Had unexpected visitors over last night, had to offer them coffee...the beer was not cold.
      You can have three kegs, taps, lines and a brand new 210l defy chesty for about the same. All my brew stuff lives in my "brew room" so it's all out of sight and out of the way, visitors in these times? Coffee would warm them up whilst they stand outside, good choice. Beer will make them stay longer. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        Yeah I don't know if I'll do a keezer when I go kegging. Or a kidge. Or kegarator. Whatever you call the fridge one. I'll probably go the chiller plate route. I don't drink enough, so I'll have to wait and see.
        I like the idea of kegs because its much easier than bottling, I just dont think I would drink enough to justify the cost, extra pain from cleaning and maintenance.
        So it looks like I will just have to get better at bottling and get a smaller fridge for cooling beers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
          I like the idea of kegs because its much easier than bottling, I just dont think I would drink enough to justify the cost, extra pain from cleaning and maintenance.
          So it looks like I will just have to get better at bottling and get a smaller fridge for cooling beers.
          My keg is ready for a new batch ±15min after I empty it, so there is no pain involved

Once empty I immediately rinse the inside with garden hose. (I dont leave it for stuff to dry on the inside which could make cleaning difficult)
          I then fill it with a couple of liters of boiling water ... seal & shake ... hook up to gas to pressurize and then push this hot water through the lines and tap to rinse.
          If I have beer available I immediately keg, otherwise I fill the keg with about 2L sanitize mixture to stand till I can keg.
          There is no need to deep clean after each use ... I completely strip and soak clean about once every 4months
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

The same 3 day period is true with my latest batch of Blonde Ale.

Brewed on Saturday, pitched US-05 (washed) Sunday morning 7am, airlock activity by 9am, and this morning I take a sample and it's down to 1.012 - reached my final gravity in exactly 3 days!

I will leave it for a full 10 days before cold crashing and kegging next weekend, but it was my first time using washed yeast - successfully that is - and I'm hooked. Cannot see why I should buy yeast ever again. I used US-05 for 90% of my beers.

Comment

The same 3 day period is true with my latest batch of Blonde Ale.

Brewed on Saturday, pitched US-05 (washed) Sunday morning 7am, airlock activity by 9am, and this morning I take a sample and it's down to 1.012 - reached my final gravity in exactly 3 days!

I will leave it for a full 10 days before cold crashing and kegging next weekend, but it was my first time using washed yeast - successfully that is - and I'm hooked. Cannot see why I should buy yeast ever again. I used US-05 for 90% of my beers.
              My batch from the weekend is mowing down the sugar as well and I didn't even bother to wash the US-05 from the previous batch. I just collected the whole lot and plopped it into the fermenter a-la Craigtube.

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                My batch from the weekend is mowing down the sugar as well and I didn't even bother to wash the US-05 from the previous batch. I just collected the whole lot and plopped it into the fermenter a-la Craigtube.
                Question is, can I keg this weekend and leave it in the keg to clear up?

Comment

plopped it into the fermenter a-la Craigtube.
                  Did you store it a few days or was it like used immediately? I saved some over the weekend and was planning to "wash" it, but also read I could just gooi it in... next time..

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                    Did you store it a few days or was it like used immediately? I saved some over the weekend and was planning to "wash" it, but also read I could just gooi it in... next time..
                    My 'washing' consisted of dumped 1 liter of previously boiled water into the fermenter, swirling it around to loosen the yeast cake and dumping 500ml's of that mixture into a 500ml sterilised jar. Stored it in the fridge for 2 weeks and then dumped straight from the fridge into the wort.

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                      When I bottled that batch I just dumped the yeast cake into a sanitized zip-lock bag, into the 'fresh tray' in the fridge and used it the following weekend

Comment

My 'washing' consisted of dumped 1 liter of previously boiled water into the fermenter, swirling it around to loosen the yeast cake and dumping 500ml's of that mixture into a 500ml sterilised jar. Stored it in the fridge for 2 weeks and then dumped straight from the fridge into the wort.
                        This was what I wanted to do, but got super lazy...

When I bottled that batch I just dumped the yeast cake into a sanitized zip-lock bag, into the 'fresh tray' in the fridge and used it the following weekend
                        Sounds about right

Will see where I end up with when I use it again.

Comment

Urgh Im not having a fun time with this ferment.
                          I checked the FG around a week ago and was at 1.020 for a few days, I tried giving the bucket a swirl and warming it up a little to get it going again but it wasnt biting.
                          So this morning I transferred to the bottling bucket(it fermented for almost 3 weeks) so that I could get it bottle conditioned.
                          I added some gelatine for fining and then headed off shopping with my wife.
                          Now Im noticing the lid of the bottling bucket is bulging out heavily so it looks like it might be fermenting again...
                          Do I wait a few days to see what happens?
                          Im scared that if I try bottle condition that there will be too much pressure build up and I might end up with bottle bombs.

I havent even added the carbonation sugar yet, was planning on doing that this afternoon and bottling!

Comment

Remember it will degass when you transfer, if your fg is set then go for it

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                              Remember it will degass when you transfer, if your fg is set then go for it

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
                              Thanks Groen.

I measured FG again when it was in the bottling bucket and its still stable. Im just super scared of losing my first AG brew to bottle bombs!
                              Do you think I should just bottle as it and then if its not carbonated in a week add some sugar to each bottle?
                              Im a little worried its come unstuck now and is going to cause issues.

Its been 3 weeks and it smells and tastes so good, I would really hate to lose it.
                              Can you tell Im a little stressed out about this?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X