Philosophical question about sanitization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philosophical question about sanitization

After discovering my brew was infected yesterday, I had a weird thought. The oldest beer recipe is from 5000 BC apparently (well google says so anyway) Brewed by the ancient Egyptians. Now, looking at technology from that era and standard sanitary practices, I have to wonder, did they just drink infected beer or how the **** did they do it? Sand floors, wood or stone fermenting vessels, just, how?
    There once was a man from Nantucket.
    Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
    He put the wort into there,
    to cut down on the air.
    Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Not all infections taste bad and there's nothing that can kill you (in theory). I guess if it 'did the job' the ancients didn't care

Comment

If I remember correctly, the very stirr paddle that they used from brew to brew was what they believe carried the yeast 'infection' that gave them fermentation. Maybe something along the lines of that strain, once going, was enough to stave off other infections.

One would think high temp yeasts like kveik would have evolved from a place like Egypt rather than Nordic places too?
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

In my experience its more bad luck than anything if your equipment is not previously infected. If you get the yeast going quickly they tend to outcompete most things and once the alcohol starts increasing even more so. If you watch some of the kveik and other old style brewing videos they just ferment in old half barrels and there's no real sanitation going on. Just some juniper branches and some boiling.

Comment

Working...
        X