Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middag

Hi all
    Been lurking every once in a while on this forum and decided its time to be a member (and to view pictures in posts). I tried a lager extract kit about 6 years back but, due to my own fault, it had a sour/off taste to it and decided it was not for me. When lockdown was announced a collected my old starter kit from way back and started playing around with pineapple "beer", and so the homebrew bug bit me again. Plan now is to do a proper job this time and go all grain(BIAB mostly, about 20 - 30l @ +- 5%abv).

The first headache I have is deciding between the Logic 50L concealed 2500w element, the Basterfield exposed 3000w element or getting a 50L blue hdpe drum and just pop two of those portable immersive / kettle elements into it (the 50L size might be overkill? Anyone welcome to share their knowledge to help me decide on which route to go) Already added a PID, heatsink, ect into my shopping cart, just waiting on payday.

Hope to share some homebrew custom builds and beer pictures soon

Regards

Welcome
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Welcome.

Don't exclude the Caterpride 50lt urn from Makro. I've been using it with much success this month. Whichever works out cost effective I guess.
      I reckon the extra 500W will be of great benefit

Comment

Welcome.
        50l is not overkill remember you need to fit all the grain and account for boil off water and water absorbed by the grain etc. Typically for BIAB you do your end beer number X 2.5 to get a comfortable size. So the 50l urn you will be able to make any beer style for a 20l batch. For lighter beers you should be good for a 30l batch but you will struggle a bit with a big grain bill 30l beer in a 50l BIAB urn.

Comment

You should be able to do 2x 20L batches in a 50L pot if you top-up pre-boil ....

but I dont think those urns holds a true 50L capacity

EDIT: Going on my own setup of only doing 30min boils tho
          JIGSAW
          Last edited by JIGSAW; 23 July 2020, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

but I dont think those urns holds a true 50L capacity
            50 lt to the rim so no good for a 50l boil

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
              50 lt to the rim so no good for a 50l boil

You just need to play around with the software and incorporate kettle as well as fermenter topups and you should be able to drop your boil volume to as low as your comfortable

Especially if you drop to about 3.5L/KG or lower water:grain ratio

Comment

Jip a lot of playing around and knowledge I need to build up once I have my hands on one. Very happy with 20L batches as well if that's the max, I asked for a quote on a 50L Basterfield urn, it looks like the same type of design and element as the Caterpride at Makro and is a little cheaper (from posts I seen on the forum). Would the 3kw urn be sufficient as a boiler for a potstill as well? if you add the PID and bypass the dry boil ect on the unit.

Comment

You just need to play around with the software and incorporate kettle as well as fermenter topups and you should be able to drop your boil volume to as low as your comfortable

Especially if you drop to about 3.5L/KG or lower water:grain ratio
                  I'm toying with the idea of using a bucket as a malt pipe, I've seen a video on YT of it done I just nee to get the necessary bits and bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Shatter View Post
                    Would the 3kw urn be sufficient as a boiler for a potstill as well? if you add the PID and bypass the dry boil ect on the unit.
                    I reckon so, my PID has just landed in country and I'm keen to get the brew controller built

Comment

Originally posted by Shatter View Post
                      Jip a lot of playing around and knowledge I need to build up once I have my hands on one. Very happy with 20L batches as well if that's the max, I asked for a quote on a 50L Basterfield urn, it looks like the same type of design and element as the Caterpride at Makro and is a little cheaper (from posts I seen on the forum). Would the 3kw urn be sufficient as a boiler for a potstill as well? if you add the PID and bypass the dry boil ect on the unit.
                      Dont really need a pid, voltage controller and a thermometer is enough, parrot...meh. It's not difficult to pick up the finer points, just takes practice

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                        I'm toying with the idea of using a bucket as a malt pipe, I've seen a video on YT of it done I just nee to get the necessary bits and bobs
                        you still have a link to that? ... i like watching stuff like that

Comment

you still have a link to that? ... i like watching stuff like that

Comment

thanks ... will watch later

Comment

hmmm plastic. here's the finished product https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm7U...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                              X