Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

# 5 Bottled. My first repeat

Reading here, it is about consistancy.
    This brew is my first repeat and interested to see how it compares.
    It's "predecessor" was brew # 2 and also my first All Grain.
    Being all a little bit stupid still, this brew is the first I've kept stats of.

I've included a pic.
    A bit of a mess but I'll get it right.

Interesting that from preboil to final bottling I lost 7.2 litres. Is this normal?
    I dumped yeast three times about 400ml each time.

ABV looks like 5.5%

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post
    Reading here, it is about consistancy.
    This brew is my first repeat and interested to see how it compares.
    It's "predecessor" was brew # 2 and also my first All Grain.
    Being all a little bit stupid still, this brew is the first I've kept stats of.

I've included a pic.
    A bit of a mess but I'll get it right.

Interesting that from preboil to final bottling I lost 7.2 litres. Is this normal?

ABV looks like 5.5%Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    From pre-boil yes .... You loose quite a bit to boil-off and the rest is kettle + fermenter trub
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I'm using the GF connect.
    So it has that nice glass lid with the hole in the centre.
    As is common knowledge, that did not work as just when you think all is ok, it starts to boil over. I was hoping to reduce volume losses.

Surely there must be a way, apart from maybe making smaller batches in the GF?

One of the main reasons for boiling is to evaporate some off flavors. Some of the other guys here know the name. So boiling covered is defeating the purpose. Then you should go raw. Or at least boil for a short time

Take the lid off, to prevent boilovers make sure to watch the first 5 minutes of the boil like a hawk, gently stir or skim the top layer until the hot break, usually in the first 5 minutes. I mash without the lid or the top plate, sparge with the top plate and pretty much use the lid as a resting place for stuff I use.

Gots lots of gf tips if you want some

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Please, that will be great

Also keen for some tips please

GF / brewday tips

Delayed start - shorten your brewday. Clean and setup the night before (save the 15l GF cleaner in a bucket for post brewday clean), delayed heating can be set using the app or on the connect controller. Remember to set desired temperature. You can disconnect your phone once the setting is on the controller
    Mash in and stir - slowly adding grains to water ensures no dough-balls form
    No top plate to enable easy access for stirring. I dont set my overflow pipe low. Keep it high so your water doesn't overflow (counter intuitive I know)
    Before uploading/starting the brew from the app, for at least the first 5 minutes or so, switch on the pump with the sparge arm installed - (btw removing the ball lock and spring will increase flow rate) recirculate and stir your mash near on constantly. you'll notice the mash level rise during this time. if your crush is good then you wont have stuck mashes, which is easily heard when the pump runs dry and squeals
    Start the brew, stir every 10/15 minutes. you'll be surprised how much and fast the grainbed gets compacted. i offset the sparge arm and balance the silicone on top on the overflow pipe, easy to rotate the grainbasket and stir
    Be attentive during the mashout, stir after 5 min, easy to run the pump dry (you'll hear it squeal)
    Sparge - invert the overflow pipe topper (increases volume) and insert top plate. sparge as usual (i cold sparge these days)
    Whilst waiting for the boil - dump the grains and wash the grainbasket and other bits and pieces. You can set the app to start raising the temp whilst you sparge
    Gently stir the top layer as it heats up - prevents boilover
    35 min boil with hop rates adjusted to fit target ibu/bu:gu, irrespective of style
    I hop in my 800 micron spider and stir it well, gives me the ability to remove my hops post boil and stay true to the intended ibu
    Cooling - chill back into the gf for a few minutes only (wortometer is handy), run chilled wort directly into fermentor. I have wort at about 28C exiting through the cfc and 90c wort in the gf. cfc = super efficient
    I pitch kveik whilst the transfer is going on.
    Use the 15l GF cleaner you saved from the night before to run a clean. I like to do the usual 60C 15min CFC, then ramp it to 100c and run through the pump and CFC. I also push clean water through the stopped pump by running it through the top, remember to open the valve

Will take some notes!

Today I milled while waiting for the GF to hit temp and also cleaned the basket during boil. Saved some time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post
    Why and how did you dump the yeast? If you dump yeast in the middle of fermentation, you're removing hard-working cells from the work they're doing.

Regarding the loss, it's not too uncommon, but that number is a tad high. I usually lose around 5l in total, although boil-off isn't a "loss" in my books as it's mostly water and it's calculated into the recipe.