Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Recipe help needed


    So this is going to be my first brew, I went straight to AG because there werent any cans/pouches available. I was always going to go AG eventually so may as well start there.
    Im going to be using BIAB if that makes any difference?

    The problem I have is most of the base malts were out of stock so I had to get what I could.
    It was the same situation with hops.

    Can anyone give me some kind of general idea of something I can make with these malts/hops please?

    Malts:
    Avantgarde Pilsner
    Simpsons premium english caramalt
    Simpsons crystal dark

    Hops:
    Saaz
    Amarillo
    Mosaic
    Simcoe

    yeasts I have some US-05 and some English Ale yeast.

    If anyone could point me in the direction of something I could make then it would be much appreciated!!

  2. #2
    I recently made a SMaSH with Pilsner and Tettnanger, you could make a nice smash with the Pilsner and Saaz or add a small % of that caramalt as well. I'm also new to AG, only done 3 batches so far soI'm starting out with simple recipes that I now work and expand them from there

  3. #3
    Beer preferences? You can go smash pilsner and Saaz. But then you only have ale yeasts. But it could work.
    I am on an APA craze so I would use the pilsner to replace a pale malt in a simple pale recipe with the cara malt. And simco Amarillo and mosaic yells APA. I've not used pilsner in this way though so it might be a bad idea

  4. #4
    pilsner is a favorite, but saaz isn't. you could make an apa pils as base, smidge of crystal/caramalt, touch of oats. amarillo and mosaic in burnout and a smidge of simcoe in the dh. i'd even bitter with saaz just to get rid of it (others do like it, it's just my personal pref) or massive burnout additions and use the saaz for a smash pils (what pils malt brand did you get?) . depends on how much hops you have though. us05 for sure.

    youre missing some english hops for an english ale

  5. #5
    Senior Member JIGSAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,146
    Use the Pilsner as a Pale malt ( I do it often)

    Then Google American Pale and use the Amarillo + Simcoe to your desired IBU range

    If you have enough Malt ... do a Pilsner/Saaz Pilley

    or a SMaSH with the Mosiac ... a 100g Smash would be up my alley

    So many option there
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!


  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Beer preferences? You can go smash pilsner and Saaz. But then you only have ale yeasts. But it could work.
    I am on an APA craze so I would use the pilsner to replace a pale malt in a simple pale recipe with the cara malt. And simco Amarillo and mosaic yells APA. I've not used pilsner in this way though so it might be a bad idea
    I dont really have much preference, I like most styles, Im just not a huge fan of SAB style commercial beers.
    I like the idea of replacing pale malt with pilsner though, thanks for that.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    pilsner is a favorite, but saaz isn't. you could make an apa pils as base, smidge of crystal/caramalt, touch of oats. amarillo and mosaic in burnout and a smidge of simcoe in the dh. i'd even bitter with saaz just to get rid of it (others do like it, it's just my personal pref) or massive burnout additions and use the saaz for a smash pils (what pils malt brand did you get?) . depends on how much hops you have though. us05 for sure.

    youre missing some english hops for an english ale
    Honestly I dont really like saaz all that much, I know quite a few beers that are heavily loaded with it. I just grabbed what I could get.
    Pils malt is the new Avantgarde German malt that beerlab is stocking now.
    I bought the cara/crystal to try and give some interest to the pilsner because I couldnt get pale malt.

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Use the Pilsner as a Pale malt ( I do it often)

    Then Google American Pale and use the Amarillo + Simcoe to your desired IBU range

    If you have enough Malt ... do a Pilsner/Saaz Pilley

    or a SMaSH with the Mosiac ... a 100g Smash would be up my alley

    So many option there
    Thanks that sounds like a great idea, I have 100G each of Saaz/mosaic/simcoe/amarillo so it can get quite hoppy if needed.
    Im probably going to aim for around 15L in the batch in my 35L urn so while its not a massive batch I dont mind using a lot of ingredients to get it tasty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •