Sparging BIAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    HDPE 2 is also safe. It's considered "food grade plastic" and while it does get soft with boiling solutions, it still works perfectly.

That's good to know. The advantage with PP is that its melting point is 160 degrees so it handles heat well. Not that sparging BIAB exposes it to temperatures anywhere near that. It is also considered to be food grade.

Comment

fg.jpg
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Brewing an American Amber Ale today. 20 minutes into the boil now. Here are a few pictures of my sparging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got 70% efficiency according to BeerSmith. Got 60% before using this method.

Comment

Toxxyc gets a good efficiency with a pretty extensive sparging process. What do you actually do?
            Open bag and raise above fluid level?
            Sprinkle with warm water
            Allow to drain/ resqueeze? Once, twice?0
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I’ve read Toxxyc’s method. Mine’s simple. I squeeze the bag enough not to make a mess when I lift it out of the mash tun and transfer it to a 20 l bucket. Said bucket has 2,5mm holes drilled in the bottom at 10mm centres (10mm apart). This 20 l bucket is inside a 25 l bucket which catches everything that drains from the 20 l bucket. Inside the 20 l bucket I open the bag and sparge with 7 l of water. Then I squeeze the grains with a SS bowl to get the last bit of liquid out. Lift the 20 l bucket out of the 25 l bucket and add the contents to the kettle which has been on flames since I started sparging.

Comment

Originally posted by Mouter View Post
                I got 70% efficiency according to BeerSmith. Got 60% before using this method.

Mash Efficiency or Brewhouse Efficiency ??
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Mash 70.1%
                  Brewhouse 61.1%

Comment

... at 10mm centres (10mm apart)....
                    You're an engineer aren't you?
                    That second bucket seems a good option to go for and I have been considering it for a long time.

I used to always not think it was worth bothering for that extra sparged wort.... until you do pre sparge and post sparge efficiency calcs. Definately worth it.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mash 70.1%
                      Brewhouse 61.1%
                      You should be able to push both those numbers higher with BIAB

Here mine for the past ±15 brews ....
                      Screenshot_28.jpg

With a 74.5% BH setting in Beersmith
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I’m not an engineer no, ha ha. I work in construction as a project manager so I know a bit about civils. I got 1,056 the sample I took post mash. I added water during the boil and just before transferring the wort to my fermenter to get to my required volume of 25 l into my fermenter because my kettle is only 27 l but only takes 25 without making a mess. After pitching my OG was 1,047. I’m not sure I fed BeerSmith the right figures or used it right. It was my first session using it and I didn’t read the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                          You're an engineer aren't you?
                          That second bucket seems a good option to go for and I have been considering it for a long time.

I used to always not think it was worth bothering for that extra sparged wort.... until you do pre sparge and post sparge efficiency calcs. Definately worth it.
                          It works like a charm and it’s cheap and easy to clean. I collect the first 40 odd liters out of my immersion chiller and use that warm water to wash and clean things. The rest of the water goes into the tank I backwash my pool into and then waters the garden later. I just push the bucket with holes into one with water a few times and lift it out to drain and it’s clean. Drilling the holes takes an hour or so but that’s once off.

Comment

Working...
                          X