Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Basterfield Urn Conversion

Starting a thread to document my adventures.

I found other threads on here to be super useful in my own research, so hopefully this will be useful to someone else in the future wanting to do something similar.

[edit: no idea how to get the picture in the right orientation - apologies]

50l Urn fresh out the box! Internal diameters are 35cm internal diameter and 57cm internal height - so volume of ~54l to the brim
    1.jpg

Urn tap replaced with 3 piece ball valve. Dip tube added on the inside. All parts bought from NDE.
    2.jpg

3.jpg

DIY Voile bag - lots of swearing between my mother and myself to get this thing sewn!
    4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Had to make a new immersion chiller as well, given how much deeper the urn is to my existing aluminium pot.
    7.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race...
    8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

I plan on using my old immersion chiller in a pot of ice water as a pre-chiller first in line to hopefully chill a bit faster...

First brew day coming up this Saturday. I need to finish up wiring internally to bypass simmerstat and dry-boil protection (and replace the indicator lamp that I accidentally broke a lead off of ).

If all goes well on the first brew day (i.e. nothing needs fixing) then I want to add a pump and PID (Have a C100, PT100 probe and SSR waiting on the workbench... just need to sort the false bottom / grid, the pump, silicone tubing and another ball valve to control the flow)...

It's been a lot of fun this far... really looking forward to the first brew day!!
    Last edited by Rikusj; 27th July 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Image rotation...

Quote Originally Posted by Rikusj View Post
    Starting a thread to document my adventures.

I found other threads on here to be super useful in my own research, so hopefully this will be useful to someone else in the future wanting to do something similar.

[edit: no idea how to get the picture in the right orientation - apologies]

<SNIP>
    You owe me a neck massage

Nice job on the Chiller
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Looks like another professional quality build. Well done so far

Looking good, if I may ask, what was the price for the ball valve+dip tube?
    I'm looking to do the same conversation, but without the chiller for now.

Do you have thoughts yet regarding what to use as a false bottom?

Lots of these on the go at the moment it seems. I ordered my basterfields beginning last week so waiting for them to be built. Will start my thread when they arive. Only recieved my B111-P pumps so far.

Great work, keep the pics comming.

Thanks! Anxious to see how it performs on brew day - we're all in this for the professional tasting results though aren't we!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shatter View Post
    Looking good, if I may ask, what was the price for the ball valve+dip tube?
    I'm looking to do the same conversation, but without the chiller for now.

Do you have thoughts yet regarding what to use as a false bottom?
    This is what I used to replace the tap:

Swage Nipple -> ball valve -> Hex Nipple ->Stainless Steel washer -> URN Sidewall <- Red fibre Washer <-Lock Nut from old Urn Tap <- 90deg Elbow <- Swage Nipple.

Ball Valve - ~R191
    Hex Nipple - ~R24
    Elbow - ~R25
    Swage Nipple x 2 - R57
    Total: ~R298

Still looking for a suitable stainless steel false bottom solution...

Looks great man!
    Thanks for the breakdown on the tap components used.

Is that the 3/8" 15m soft drawn copper tubing ?
    That's what i planned on getting and making a "single coil" chiller, but your "double coil" chiller looks legit!

Currently still looking at options for a false bottom and potentially making a malt budget pipe of sorts (after seeing the cheap bucket version posted in the other thread).

Quote Originally Posted by CaPunT View Post
    Looks great man!
    Thanks for the breakdown on the tap components used.

Is that the 3/8" 15m soft drawn copper tubing ?
    That's what i planned on getting and making a "single coil" chiller, but your "double coil" chiller looks legit!

Currently still looking at options for a false bottom and potentially making a malt budget pipe of sorts (after seeing the cheap bucket version posted in the other thread).
    Yup - 3/8 soft drawn. See this thread for a lot of reference- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads...hiller.106415/

Quote Originally Posted by Rikusj View Post
    Yup - 3/8 soft drawn. See this thread for a lot of reference- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads...hiller.106415/
    Shot for the link, so much valuable info!!

@Rikusj have you tested your setup yet? What do you think is the largest batch you'd be able to do in that urn?

I will try to order my urn early next week. Just trying to figure out if this will be the size to go for. Go big comes to mind, because I really want to build a semi permanent long term setup and use it for years, not rebuild in a few months to go bigger.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Still learning, please be patient, I've had a few.
    Constructive criticism welcome.