Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Nothing beats it! Gives absolute control of the intensity of the boil to get the rolling boil just how you want it.
    Elements are quite happy at partial power and my SCR unit plugs "in-line" to my urn. Im not too familiar with the PWM setups but I think they do pretty much the same thing for an element.
    Ah this is great news Langchop, will try and get to it today.

Do you know if the wiring is the same as the Caterpride thermostat setup? I'm no electrician and slightly nervous when it comes to things I know nothing of. Was hoping to follow the instructions on the Caterpride thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Still learning, please be patient, I've had a few.
    Constructive criticism welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    I see in the description THIS - electric-home-brewing-system-240v-biab is the system he is using and the brackets looks like this ....
    Clawhammer Supply

I follow these guys on Youtube, they have an awesome system and share a lot of information on brewing and their recipes/ methods, always pushing boundaries.

Recently, they have changed their video making style a bit, which is sometimes annoying, however, their older videos are spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Clawhammer Supply

I follow these guys on Youtube, they have an awesome system and share a lot of information on brewing and their recipes/ methods, always pushing boundaries.

Recently, they have changed their video making style a bit, which is sometimes annoying, however, their older videos are spot on.

Cool, Will give them a sub
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Nothing beats it! Gives absolute control of the intensity of the boil to get the rolling boil just how you want it.
    Elements are quite happy at partial power and my SCR unit plugs "in-line" to my urn. Im not too familiar with the PWM setups but I think they do pretty much the same thing for an element.
    This sounds interesting! Just had a quick google and these SCR units looks like a no brainer addition to my brew controller box!!

Quote Originally Posted by RudiC View Post
    Ah this is great news Langchop, will try and get to it today.

Do you know if the wiring is the same as the Caterpride thermostat setup? I'm no electrician and slightly nervous when it comes to things I know nothing of. Was hoping to follow the instructions on the Caterpride thread
    Oops, I forget you have a proper urn with adjustable thermostat. Mine is actually a boilbucket without a thermostat. Nonetheless, you should be able to turn the thermostat to max and then have a SCR plug in unit between the urns plug and the wall socket.

If you want to build the SCR into the urn, then you may need forced cooling. They tend to get hot mainly when you are throttling to very low power settings
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by RudiC View Post
    From what I recall the wiring is the same - they both use the same 3000w element. It's not too technical. There are four connections on the element unit - Two connections on the outside that clearly connect into the thicker element coils and two connections on the inside that connect to the dry-boil protection in the middle of the element. From what I recall the one red wire live was connected to the element. The other red wire was connected to the dry-boil, with a blue wire then going from the second dry-boil connection to the second element connection. You essentially want the two reds to be directly connected to the element connections, removing the dry-boil... does that make any sense? I could snap a pic if that helps?

There's a pic in the Caterpride thread, I can copy it here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rikusj View Post
    From what I recall the wiring is the same - they both use the same 3000w element. It's not too technical. There are four connections on the element unit - Two connections on the outside that clearly connect into the thicker element coils and two connections on the inside that connect to the dry-boil protection in the middle of the element. From what I recall the one red wire live was connected to the element. The other red wire was connected to the dry-boil, with a blue wire then going from the second dry-boil connection to the second element connection. You essentially want the two reds to be directly connected to the element connections, removing the dry-boil... does that make any sense? I could snap a pic if that helps?
    Yes it makes sense, thanks Rikus. My urn is halfway full atm, but my plan was to get to it today. Maybe it would be best to put the SCR outside the urn rather, thanks for that important bit cause I actually fitted it to the urn to see if it would work there and thought it fit great lol.

Got some time now. Just checked with multimeter and looks like those two redish things are for the element's power connection. Buzzed it and it is a complete circuit.

Would you agree those are the ones to power from the SCR? I'm reasonably sure, but would like confirmation if possible lol.

TIA

Do you have a wider angle pic?

There should be two wires apart from the green earth coming into that whole arrangement. Cant really see if the bottom two are separate wires or loop together.

But yes, the wires coming from the inside of the red filler are the two wires you want to connect directly to.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."