Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Is this better?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Still learning, please be patient, I've had a few.
    Constructive criticism welcome.

I was thinking easiest would be to just wire the SCR directly and bypass the thermostat completely. Simplest in my mind
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Still learning, please be patient, I've had a few.
    Constructive criticism welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by RudiC View Post
    I was thinking easiest would be to just wire the SCR directly and bypass the thermostat completely. Simplest in my mind
    Indeed the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Nothing beats it! Gives absolute control of the intensity of the boil to get the rolling boil just how you want it.
    Elements are quite happy at partial power and my SCR unit plugs "in-line" to my urn. Im not too familiar with the PWM setups but I think they do pretty much the same thing for an element.
    What size element are you running on your SCR? I see 4000w SCR are fairly common and cheap, but they're labelled 2000w for continuous use. Wondering whether they'll be ok for use with my 3000w element, as I doubt I'll ever crank the element down a lot, just to dial back too a nice rolling boil....

Agreed - simplest approach. That thermostat is a simmerstat from what I recall so it regulates power based on a metal strip in the unit itself (i.e. without any reference to the temperature of the actual contents of the urn) - so just another thing to throw an uncontrolled variable into the mix.

Agree. You could probably put the 'naked' SCR module where the thermostat is too and then connect the orange and red wires to it, and then couple the orange wire at the element to the blue wire to tie directly into the element.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by Rikusj View Post
    What size element are you running on your SCR? I see 4000w SCR are fairly common and cheap, but they're labelled 2000w for continuous use. Wondering whether they'll be ok for use with my 3000w element, as I doubt I'll ever crank the element down a lot, just to dial back too a nice rolling boil....
    I will have to check, but I think its a 8000 or 10000W

I did though use a 4000W 'naked' SCR built into a hotplate, which I think was 3kW, for distilling with no problems (used twice only though)

Like you say, the 4000W ones are so cheap, its well worth just trying it out, and it wont break the bank.

EDIT: I stand corrected! I think this is the one I bought, so it is just 4000W.... but my element is marked 2200W

dfgsdtg.jpg
    Last edited by Langchop; 12th November 2020 at 14:17.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    That would work perfectly if they had stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    That looks perfect
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~