Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to attempt this Belgian Blonde recipe

Hi All,

I'm on my third batch of all grain brewing. The first I'm pretty sure I messed up (being a noob) but I have learned from my mistakes

Anyway, I have this recipe that I would like to attempt but I obviously don't understand all the concepts and would really appreciate it if you could help me out? The recipe is as follows but it's the fermentation part of it that I'm not sure about: (eg.Allow the dyacetil to rest for 24 hours at the end of fermentation prior to yeast removal and Lagering: 2 days at 12 oC and 2 weeks at 0-1 oC. Once fermentation is done, tap off and bottle/keg). I have no idea what either of those concepts are or what to do and trying to google it has proved unsuccessful. All my other brews just required to ferment for 2 weeks and then bottle.

Ingredients
    4.2kg Pilsen Malt
    0.25kg Pale Ale Malt
    15g Saaz (50 Min)
    8g Mittelfruh Hops (5 Min)
    1 x T-58 yeast sachet.

Mash
    Add 11 litres of water at 76°C to the mash tun and allow to cool to 71°C.
    Add all grains.
    Temp should drop to 63°C (Add cool/hot water to reach this temp).
    Steep for 60 min. Temp should remain constant.

Raise mash temp to 67°C by applying heat or adding roughly 2 liters of boiling water to the mash tun. Rest at 67°C for 15 min.
    Sparge
    (2-Step Batch Sparge)
    Step 1: Add 6.5 litres of water to the mash tun at 78°C. Tap off wort into Boil Pot until water level is just above the surface of grain bed.
    Step 2: Add another 6.5 litres of water to the mash tun at 76°C. Tap off wort into Boil Pot.

Boil (75 min):
    Boil Size: 20.5 litres.
    Add 15g Saaz at 50 min. Add a pinch of coriander here too.
    Add 8g Mittelfruh Hops at 5 min.

Ferment
    Cool wort to 26°C, pour/siphon into fermentor, aerate well and pitch yeast. Estimated Original Gravity (OG) is 1.065 SG. Ferment between 25-28 degrees. Allow to ferment for a week or two or until Specific Gravity (SG) readings are identical over a 24-hour period. Estimated Final Gravity (FG) is 1.010
    Allow the dyacetil to rest for 24 hours at the end of fermentation prior to yeast removal.
    Lagering: 2 days at 12 oC and 2 weeks at 0-1 oC. Once fermentation is done, tap off and bottle/keg.

quick summary
    Diacetyl rest : Raising temperature near the end of fermentation ( a few gravity points, cant recall - check google) for about two days to drive off diacetyl/buttery flavours, increase of about 2C iirc.
    Lagering : The long wait before you keg.

Both of the above depends on yeast type, fermentation temp, nutrients, malts etc etc.

Comment

If its only your 3rd all grain dont worry about what a diacetyl rest is and skip the lagering the recipe will be fine without them. So ferment till you hit roughly your target FG and there is no change in the reading over consecutive days then wait one or two more days and bottle.

Comment

I dunno what IBUs you're aiming for, but 15g of Saaz won't give a lot of them at all. Just keep that in mind.

Comment

Hi Lynds007 Welcome

Since it's your 3rd batch don't stress to much about those two notes in that recipe.

1. It's a Blonde Ale made with an Ale yeast so a Diacetil rest is technically not even necessary but what it entails is raising the temp of your fermentation by about 2ºC at the end of fermentation (usually done with Lagers that's fermented at the lower side of the scale)

2. The lagering part is also usually done to Lager beers where it's store to mature (condition) at near freezing temps. Yes, a Blonde Ale made with lager yeast can benefit from a bit of lagering, but with this recipe made with an ale yeast I would just cold crash after fermentation to clear the beer and then bottle or keg
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks all. I much appreciate the explanations. I was stressing because I had not noticed that this recipe had differences to my other batches and I had no idea what any of that stuff meant. You are all awesome, thank you and will follow your advice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Hi Lynds007 Welcome

Since it's your 3rd batch don't stress to much about those two notes in that recipe.

1. It's a Blonde Ale made with an Ale yeast so a Diacetil rest is technically not even necessary but what it entails is raising the temp of your fermentation by about 2ºC at the end of fermentation (usually done with Lagers that's fermented at the lower side of the scale)

2. The lagering part is also usually done to Lager beers where it's store to mature (condition) at near freezing temps. Yes, a Blonde Ale made with lager yeast can benefit from a bit of lagering, but with this recipe made with an ale yeast I would just cold crash after fermentation to clear the beer and then bottle or keg
              Thank you for explaining it very well to me. Appreciate it
              Lynds007
              Last edited by Lynds007; 31 July 2020, 11:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                I dunno what IBUs you're aiming for, but 15g of Saaz won't give a lot of them at all. Just keep that in mind.
                Well this is all still very new to me as I'm still learning a lot. I've never made beer before until now (I always wanted to but kept putting it off). What would you suggest? I can't say I enjoy a very bitter beer, I generally enjoy beers like CBC crystal weiss, even the amber weiss or more general beers such as castle lite, peroni, etc. Apologies for my lack of knowledge
                Lynds007
                Last edited by Lynds007; 31 July 2020, 11:47.

Comment

Are you using any software to create your recipe? They will give a good indication of the IBU and ABV of your intended recipe vs the style you are brewing.

That recipe hits 7.8 IBU which is borderline for a light lager style, so it definitely won't be bitter

Comment

+1 7.8 is kaaaaaak low

I would push the Saaz higher .... I see you have 50min ... Isn't that perhaps 50g ?
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      +1 7.8 is kaaaaaak low

I would push the Saaz higher .... I see you have 50min ... Isn't that perhaps 50g ?
                      Yup, I'd go with 50g

Comment

Originally posted by Lynds007 View Post
                        Hi All,

I'm on my third batch of all grain brewing. The first I'm pretty sure I messed up (being a noob) but I have learned from my mistakes

Anyway, I have this recipe that I would like to attempt but I obviously don't understand all the concepts and would really appreciate it if you could help me out? The recipe is as follows but it's the fermentation part of it that I'm not sure about: (eg.Allow the dyacetil to rest for 24 hours at the end of fermentation prior to yeast removal and Lagering: 2 days at 12 oC and 2 weeks at 0-1 oC. Once fermentation is done, tap off and bottle/keg). I have no idea what either of those concepts are or what to do and trying to google it has proved unsuccessful. All my other brews just required to ferment for 2 weeks and then bottle.

Ingredients
                        4.2kg Pilsen Malt
                        0.25kg Pale Ale Malt
                        15g Saaz (50 Min)
                        8g Mittelfruh Hops (5 Min)
                        1 x T-58 yeast sachet.

Mash
                        Add 11 litres of water at 76°C to the mash tun and allow to cool to 71°C.
                        Add all grains.
                        Temp should drop to 63°C (Add cool/hot water to reach this temp).
                        Steep for 60 min. Temp should remain constant.

Raise mash temp to 67°C by applying heat or adding roughly 2 liters of boiling water to the mash tun. Rest at 67°C for 15 min.
                        Sparge
                        (2-Step Batch Sparge)
                        Step 1: Add 6.5 litres of water to the mash tun at 78°C. Tap off wort into Boil Pot until water level is just above the surface of grain bed.
                        Step 2: Add another 6.5 litres of water to the mash tun at 76°C. Tap off wort into Boil Pot.

Boil (75 min):
                        Boil Size: 20.5 litres.
                        Add 15g Saaz at 50 min. Add a pinch of coriander here too.
                        Add 8g Mittelfruh Hops at 5 min.

Ferment
                        Cool wort to 26°C, pour/siphon into fermentor, aerate well and pitch yeast. Estimated Original Gravity (OG) is 1.065 SG. Ferment between 25-28 degrees. Allow to ferment for a week or two or until Specific Gravity (SG) readings are identical over a 24-hour period. Estimated Final Gravity (FG) is 1.010
                        Allow the dyacetil to rest for 24 hours at the end of fermentation prior to yeast removal.
                        Lagering: 2 days at 12 oC and 2 weeks at 0-1 oC. Once fermentation is done, tap off and bottle/keg.

Did you get this recipe from BeerGuavara ?

I have made this one in the past - turned out to be great !

Don't worry too much about the little details - dyacetil rest and yeast removal and lagering are just methods in achieving a perfect result. Your beer without this will be fine.

The Blonde recipes on the Castle Malting website:
                        https://www.castlemalting.com/Castle...erRecipes.asp?
                        don't go into much detail either - except for the lagering - Lagering btw is a method to get beer clear - to let all the solids drop down before bottling - else you'll have some porridge in the bottom of the bottel - which, as a home brewer, is normal - or to be expected.

Comment

Working...
                        X