Basterfield urn Brutus 20 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basterfield urn Brutus 20 build

Like many others I've gotten a renewed interest in my beer brewing and set down the path of putting together an electric brewing rig, something I've wanted to do for probably close on 10 years. I currently do BIAB with a 50l keg and gas setup and I'm happy with most of my beers but its usually a pain to maintain mash temps and dealing with the scalding hot grain bag is also not my favourite thing.

So I've ordered:
    2 50l urns from Basterfield.
    2 Rex-C100 PIDs from bangood.
    2 B111-P pumps from TecsaReco
    A bunch of stainless fittings from Fluidline in Midrand.

I'm still waiting for the urns as one of their suppliers closed due to corona issues. I'll update with pics as I go along.

fittings.jpg

So far I have the pumps and stainless fittings from the urns to the pumps. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do from the pump output side yet. I'm thinking cam locks and some silicone piping at this stage.

The PID sensors will go into the plugs on the T-piece and I fitted some Unions to make removing the pump from the urn easier for transport/cleaning.
    Beachless
    Last edited by Beachless; 2 August 2020, 15:41.

Comment

IMG-20200804-175624.jpg

Urns have arrived

Now I can plan the last of the stainless fittings to get the valves, pumps and tubing fitted. Will hopefully find what I need and get a chance to pick up a few thing during this week.

Comment

Looking good!

I'm eagerly watching to see how you implement your pump setup. I'm heading down that route in the next while!!

Comment

My PID arrived from Banggood this morning. Its pretty insane because I ordered on the 27th of last month!
          Seems Buffalo is back up to full speed again on imports.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
            My PID arrived from Banggood this morning. Its pretty insane because I ordered on the 27th of last month!
            Seems Buffalo is back up to full speed again on imports.
            Mine also arrived very quickly

Comment

Which shipping option do you guys select? SA Direct tax free??

Screenshot_15.jpg
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

In my case, the cheapest. I paid R40 duties on it

Comment

Meh ordered mine on the 26th and it just says "Int'l Shipping...()" but buffalo has been good to me in the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2564[/ATTACH]
                  Selected the cheapest one and it got a buffalo tracking code.
                  Beachless
                  Last edited by Beachless; 5 August 2020, 18:31.

Comment

IMG-20200808-152847.jpg

Slow progess so far... Getting all the stainless steel bits is a real PITA. Ive resorted to using brass running nipple and nuts on the urn to valve and will replace if I find some stainless ones eventually. I've also spent way more on camlocks than I was wanting to but they are on the way I hope.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2564[/ATTACH]
                      SA direct tax free and the option above it are the same thing really, one just has the duties paid up front.
                      If you go for the tax free option then it saves a day on the shipping as Buffalo doesnt need to contact you for the ~R40 duties to be paid before delivering.
                      The only downside is that it works out a few rand more expensive than paying the duties when the item arrives.
                      Either way its really fast and efficient service and I have yet to be let down by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachless View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]2567[/ATTACH]

Slow progess so far... Getting all the stainless steel bits is a real PITA. Ive resorted to using brass running nipple and nuts on the urn to valve and will replace if I find some stainless ones eventually. I've also spent way more on camlocks than I was wanting to but they are on the way I hope.
                        I also used brass where I couldnt get stainless, will see how it goes and replace later if needed. Most info on the internet says brass is absolutely fine for anything up to fermentation, once you start fermenting then you cant have brass anywhere near the wort.
                        Did you have to enlarge the holes in the urn for the fittings? that was a real pain sitting there with a dremel having to get mine to fit.

Comment

SA direct tax free and the option above it are the same thing really, one just has the duties paid up front.
                          If you go for the tax free option then it saves a day on the shipping as Buffalo doesnt need to contact you for the ~R40 duties to be paid before delivering.
                          The only downside is that it works out a few rand more expensive than paying the duties when the item arrives.
                          Either way its really fast and efficient service and I have yet to be let down by them.

Ok Thanks.
                          So if I select the top option and they contact me about duties to be paid, how is that paid?
                          to who and how?
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I also used brass where I couldnt get stainless, will see how it goes and replace later if needed. Most info on the internet says brass is absolutely fine for anything up to fermentation, once you start fermenting then you cant have brass anywhere near the wort.
                            Did you have to enlarge the holes in the urn for the fittings? that was a real pain sitting there with a dremel having to get mine to fit.
                            I think the issues with brass is more from the days where it contained lead. The urn came with 1/2" fittings but the nipple is not usable for the valve. So its mostly just replacing the nipple that's needed.

Comment

Ok Thanks.
                              So if I select the top option and they contact me about duties to be paid, how is that paid?
                              to who and how?
                              They usually just send you an SMS with their banking details and a reference. One you paid your tracking details will say that you paid and then you can expect delivery a few days later.

Comment

Working...
                              X