3d printers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d printers

Anyone here with experience with 3d printers? Creality or flashforge? Looking for advice, print tap handles to keep it beer related [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    Anyone here with experience with 3d printers? Creality or flashforge? Looking for advice, print tap handles to keep it beer related [emoji6]

Yup, one of the far too many hobbies I have.
    I have the Creality Ender 5 and its a really good printer. Im making a PID controlled urn so last night I printed out a nice box for the PID and SSR which is custom made for it.
    Designing stuff is difficult but there is an absolute ton to print from www.thingiverse.com.

I steered away from doing a bunch of upgrades because it prints perfectly as stock. I just printed some quality of life upgrades for the printer which is really cool that you can even do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
      Yup, one of the far too many hobbies I have.
      Im making a PID controlled urn so last night I printed out a nice box for the PID and SSR which is custom made for it.
      Pic? and cost if you were to print another

Comment

Im looking at the ender 3 v2 but no stock anywhere, it seems like the enders are good to go as is, with a slew of upgrades available. I'm looking at the flashforge adventurer too, but stock is hard to find.

The ender 3 and 5 seems to be fairly similar, I did look at the comparison. To be honest this whole thing is for my son for his birthday, he's pretty good with tech and love science and math, so this will deliver a physible at the end of the print.

Thingiverse is excellent, have you looked at the tap handles yet :-)
        groenspookasem
        Banned
        Last edited by groenspookasem; 8 August 2020, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
          Pic? and cost if you were to print another
          You can always go the reprap route and diy/print another machine but its not really worth it due to the cost of a new one.
          I will take some pics and post soon.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            Im looking at the ender 3 v2 but no stock anywhere, it seems like the enders are good to go as is, with a slew of upgrades available. I'm looking at the flashforge adventurer too, but stock is hard to find.

The ender 3 and 5 seems to be fairly similar, I did look at the comparison. To be honest this whole thing is for my son for his birthday, he's pretty good with tech and love science and math, so this will deliver a physible at the end of the print.

Thingiverse is excellent, have you looked at the tap handles yet :-)
            The ender 5 is a slightly more "complete" unit with a lot of the upgrades included that people used to do on the original ender 3. The ender 3 V2 also has the upgraded bits so its not a bad choice.
            I do prefer the rigidity of the box frame on the 5 and it is also WAY easier to assemble, nothing really needs to be lined up because its already done.
            I got the one with the silent mainboard and its very quiet compared to non-silent versions.

I need to check on tap handles, I have never actually though to look for them on thingiverse before.
            Honestly any printer is a good option if there is a big enough community for it, Creality wins on that front because there are massive groups on facebook etc if you have issues.

Comment

I love mine, designed and built a few over the years. My current one is a corexy design but already about 4 years old so the design is pretty dated at this point. I want to build a Voron but its another chunk of change and mine still works fine as is.

Comment

I also like the box design on the 5, but not sure how much of a difference it makes on the end product. Plug and play would be great though, I dont mind fiddling but it gets old fast.

Corex, voron...out of my depth completely. Google here I come again...

Comment

Where do you guys get filament from? Like the printers, most seem to be out of stock? I'm looking for decent 1.75mm PLA to start off with...abs ould work too

Comment

I mostly use these 3 but you will probably have to take what you can get:
                    www.diyelectronics.co.za
                    www.3dprintingstore.co.za
                    www.robotics.org.za/

Comment

Originally posted by Beachless View Post
                      I mostly use these 3 but you will probably have to take what you can get:
                      www.diyelectronics.co.za
                      www.3dprintingstore.co.za
                      www.robotics.org.za/
                      Same ones I use, Diyelectronics was where I got my printer and I get most filaments from them.
                      Stock seems to be an issue at the moment in most places.

Comment

Also a side thing of mine. Great for jigs and similar applications that I use it for.

I've gone the whole custom reprap route, but in the long run it can cost you more unless you have a very specific shopping list from someone that has gone through the iterations.

In this day and age there are a few things that I think are necessary luxuries to have if possible (I don't have them all):
                        1.)Auto bed levelling- shim your bed once and be done.
                        2.)Silent stepper drivers - you will hear the things from across the house without them and on long prints, its hell while trying to get to sleep.
                        3.)Minimum 24v heated bed. You can go for an AC heated bed, but its not crucial
                        4.)Removable magnetic print plate.

You wont always get all of those off the bat for instance with an Ender3, but so many commercial upgrades exist.

RepRap is only worth doing if you can import all the parts from Aliexpress and be willing to wait a couple months, but I think at the moment, SAPO is basically non functioning. It was bad before Corona, but right now its just a black hole shitshow.

My printer that only recently has found its final form, but still needs some work.
                        24v
                        TMC2130's
                        Inductive Auto-bed-leveling
                        30x30 extrusion frame

Might upgrade the heated bed to a pirated Prusa MK3 bed and plate system in the future. You can see I've ripped off chunks of the PEI sheet with some more stubbornly stuck parts. Excuse the z-rails that need trimming. Obligatory background Corney keg, and placed on top of the keg freezer.

Edit- I'm not new to the forum, but havn't posted in years. I also could not get the "forgotten password" function to get into my old account, which is a bit of a bugger
                        Attached Files
                        GregMo
                        Last edited by GregMo; 13 August 2020, 13:14.

Comment

@GregMo

Welcome even if its only for printer advice
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I went ahead and got the Ender 3 Pro Silent edition, it has a removable magnetic buildplate as standard and a built in bootloader, unfortunately not 32bit, but can heat the bed to 110c or 80c with the magnetic buildtek

I've identified a few upgrades that wont be printable;
                            - Octoprint, cause I'm a nerd like that
                            - SKR board & touchscreen, its a 32bit silent board with built in support for the bed leveler/filament run out/thermal protection and other cool features (nice to have)
                            - BLtouch (I'll get this first, I see that tramming will get boring fast)
                            - Direct drive extruder
                            - Swiss micro metal hotend and nozzles
                            Having said that, it seems to work well stock too. I was a bit pushed for time (birthday is Saturday) and stock is low or non-existent everywhere, finding filament is a mission, but I'll bulk up when it arrives. Hopefully, I'll be able to have some print time too, I found a few cool looking tap handles on thingiverse
                            groenspookasem
                            Banned
                            Last edited by groenspookasem; 13 August 2020, 16:26. Reason: semantics

Comment

The Ender3 silent is a great printer, having to tweak slicers and settings to get a custom printer tuned well is not an easy feat.

I'm not sure if you're proficient with CAD, but Fusion360 has a "free for personal use" license system, and that is really when owning a printer comes into its own.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X