Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA hops usage

Good day Brewsters.

This is my first post on this forum. I'm from rural Cape Town area and started brewing during the first alcohol prohibition, bought all the all-grain brewing equipment and mofifying my 45l Coleman coolerbox into a mash tun. I initially started brewing 5gal all-grain premix recipes from my LHBS using overseas hop varieties. Hence noticed how cheap SA hop varieties are and googled for Southern Hop varieties which where better in usage for bittering v aroma, when I stumbled uppon this site and subsequently subscribing and writing this post.

I searched this site and found usefull info regarding the usage of the Southern Hop varieties, also that it is very cheap to purchase hops from the farm in George - suppose it's the one on top of Outaniqua Pass.

Anyway, I stumbled upon this site - saw a video on youtube:
    https://johnfearless.com/south-african-hops-varietals/
    .. that lays out nicely how SA hops can be used for bittering and/or aroma - though it would be helpfull to share.

This will be my introduction to this site. I'm a novice brewster getting to grips with brewing procedings. I've probably done about 8 5gal batches to date, a Weiss, Belgian Blonde, APA, IPA, Irish Stout, Pilsner..

Happy brewing !

Welcome and thank you

I've used Southern Aroma for 2 brews so far, just waiting for the conditioning to complete so I can sample

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
      ...bought all the all-grain brewing equipment...
      So it was you!!!?

Welcome to the forum and happy brewing
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I try to use SAP Hops exclusively in my brews.

Southern Dawn is a great bittering hop.

African Queen is an excellent dual purpose hop and one of the better dry hopping hops from SA.

I'm really not fussy, however it must be said that I brew mostly different versions of Pale Ales and Blondes.

Comment

@AlexBrew Welcome Pull up a chair and share those brews

Thanks for the link, will investigate as Im planning to do SA only hop brews in the near future
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I want to do a SA only brew, malt and hops but finding the malt milled is proving to be a challenge

Comment

I've brewed a few only SA beers and my friend out here has done a lot. Ill check the link but In short. Queen and passion are awesome. I've been toying with XJA U1 N1 and N3. But it's to early for me to say much except that as can be expected with experimental hops they change significantly between batches.
              The last thing I would add is that interestingly have to dubbel my dry hop addition to achieve a matching aroma an flavor to us hops

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                So it was you!!!?

Welcome to the forum and happy brewing
                Hahaha. Yes it was me. Now the online brewshop claims 'Sold Out' on most of their items.

Comment

I'm planning to do a Pale Ale with Southern Hops.
                  I have bought the IPA grain mix from my LHBS, but find it quite rich in taste and also too strong abv (7.8% - something like that), so intend to dilute it 50/50 with plain Pale Ale malt to mellow out the taste make it a bit more sessionable .. say 5 - 5.5%abv. Aiming for 1.050-1.055 OG... think. Must still do recipe calc.. Which btw I use brewgr.com which is free.

Comment

Going to brew this morning the mentioned APA or call it a SPA (Southern Pale Ale) using Southern Dawn as bittering. .. then I've read somewhere that Southern hops shouldn't be boiled for more than 30min (20 recommended elsewhere). What's the story here? Then I guess I'll need to add more hops to get the IBUs up. Any recommended IBUs for this beer/hop style ? I'll probably use African Queen or Passion for aroma 15min .. 5min. Any recommendations here? Thx

Comment

I'd say drop the 5min totally and Gooi 50g queen and 50g passion in the whirlpool.
                      That's my APA addition suggestion. And then the same addition 3 days later

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        Going to brew this morning the mentioned APA or call it a SPA (Southern Pale Ale) using Southern Dawn as bittering. .. then I've read somewhere that Southern hops shouldn't be boiled for more than 30min (20 recommended elsewhere). What's the story here? Then I guess I'll need to add more hops to get the IBUs up. Any recommended IBUs for this beer/hop style ? I'll probably use African Queen or Passion for aroma 15min .. 5min. Any recommendations here? Thx
                        Some say SA hops give a grassy taste. I haven't picked it up, having worked my way through several kilos of it in the past few weeks. Even my currently selling kit beers have just SA hops, all boiled for an hour, and I'm getting REALLY good feedback on them.

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                          I'd say drop the 5min totally and Gooi 50g queen and 50g passion in the whirlpool.
                          That's my APA addition suggestion. And then the same addition 3 days later

For how many litres did you have in mind here?
                          I'm making a 34litre batch - hoping to fill 2x 5gal fermentors (with a bit of head space)

Comment

Ok I had a 5gal batch in mind so double what I said

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                              Some say SA hops give a grassy taste. I haven't picked it up, having worked my way through several kilos of it in the past few weeks. Even my currently selling kit beers have just SA hops, all boiled for an hour, and I'm getting REALLY good feedback on them.
                              Same here

Unless it's the fact that i haven't eaten grass yet, so have no clue what it tastes like
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                              X